Why become a member? ×

What was it like for you being a bass beginner?

Gomez68

I started playing bass in 1988. My dad played guitar in pubs and clubs around the north for about 20 years so I always lived in a very 'musical' house. Dad never pushed me into playing the guitar, the thing that got me into picking up the bass was Iron Maiden. My best friend and I listened to Live After Death and decided that we were going to start a band, he would play guitar and I would play bass. We both got Squier Bullets for Christmas 1988. My bass version was great and I wish I still had it, I still have the Gorilla 20w combo though. We listened and tried to play all kinds of metal and thrash, I think that [size=4]liking that kind of music[/size][size=4] helped our development. As the years went by we expanded our horizons as we all tend to. [/size]

The bassist in my dads band gave me a few pointers but for the most part I was self taught. The two things that were the most important for me were being able to tune my bass by ear and knowing what each note was on the fretboard. Most of the musical theory knowledge I have was absorbed through playing covers, in recent years I have made more of an effort to get to know a bit more about the theory side of music. Then I realised that I knew most of it already, I just wasn't aware the musical terms or the reasons why some things work and some things don't.

I have developed my playing more in the last year than I did in the previous 15 years combined. The internet has helped, having access to just about any song and hours upon hours of tutorials on youtube has enabled me to be 'instructed' by many different players who in years gone by I wouldn't have even heard of. About 10 years ago I was in a signed band and lived out some of my rock and roll dreams, strangely enough through at the time I didn't really care about gear and technique that much, I didn't fully appreciate how lucky I was to be able to quit my job and get paid for being in a band - we got dropped after a year though!!

I am 39 now, I feel like I have had a new lease of life with playing bass in the last 2 years, it has helped me through some truly awful times and given me the new condition of GAS on a regular basis!

Edited by interpol52

[quote name='DaytonaRik' timestamp='1418720099' post='2632550']
I made the switch from guitar to bass when our bass player quit (I was purely a vocalist at that point) so the transition was pretty straight forward for me...the fret board and scale knowledge had already been done.
[/quote]

Same here. I was our band's guitarist back in the early 80s (mostly Ska), always preferred rhythm over lead and always really wanted to be a drummer. Played piano first so I like the feel of having all ten fingers on the instrument which led me to play a lot of guitar with no pick (not the Ska songs though). After a long layoff some of us got back together just to play. I had suffered an accident with a power tool that made guitar playing a bit more difficult so I volunteered to buy a bass, a small amp and go that route. I loved it immediately. We took another break and are now back playing and have quite a few guys who can jump in and play when they feel like it. For me the bass was a pretty easy transition and when guys break out a song I'm not familiar with my knowledge of guitar chords comes in handy when picking things up.

[quote name='red rooster' timestamp='1418734773' post='2632770']
well for me it was issues with my hands im 46 and used to climb indoors and out twice a week then through work i got white finger and carpel tunnel syndrome in my hands and wrists so had to stop with the climbing ,sure i do other things ive got rifles ,shotguns and do some sea fishing ive also got two girls who are learning music so weve a few guitars a piano,an accordian and various other bits and bobs lying round the house .Ive always liked the sound of the bass and seem to be able to pick it out of whatever i listen to so basically i bought one and ive been noodling on it ever since i play id daily it goes to work with me im not keen on learning songs tabs etc i enjoy learning the notes and scales and playing about with them ive been playing the major triads for a few days now and im enjoying them just messing and playing them in different orders i also go for lessons once a week with my 12 year old daughter ,she keeps me right and the best bit my hands feel better than they have in years sure its all down to the excercises and moving them about on the bass.
[/quote]

That's brilliant mate, keep it up! :)
I think that sometimes the greatest payment that playing music brings can get lost with some people.
That payment is the simple pleasure and "therapy from life" as I like to call it.
Self inflicted life enhancement haha!
Great you're getting your kids involved too.

Nice one :)

Edited by miles'tone