Why become a member? ×

Licks

Horizontalste

I'm going to a jam in the new year and one of the guitarist's emailed saying "just get your licks down and we'll play twelve bar". What's wrong with that I hear you all say, well nothing but this got me thinking about licks in general.
See, I never intentionally learnt any, in fact the only licks I know are patterns that have turned up time and time again in the songs I've learned over the year's.
So this got me wondering what the consensus among the BC fraternity is?
Did you just pick up things along the way or did you intentionally learn "the licks" and if so do you feel it helped in the jam situation and with your creativity in general?
Just curious is all.

Steve

Doesn't sound like a jam if there's a 'lick agenda'.

I like occupying the space where guitarists and keyboard players like to 'noodle' - this renders traditional jamming deeply frustrating for them, but on the positive side we can then concentrate on music

<edit>

Like many bass players, I have a range of 'traditional' perhaps expected, licks, 'tasteful runs' and twiddles that I draw upon and I've picked these up over the years - I prefer situations where there isn't an expectation that the bass will be a 'bed' for a general lack of discipline.

Edited by No lust in Jazz