Why become a member? ×

bass tone (horses for courses)

Monz

QUOTE (bass_ferret @ Aug 8 2008, 10:12 AM)
I would try the 151 extension cab first - putting the 151 together with a 4x10 could produce unpredictable results.

QUOTE (chris_b @ Aug 8 2008, 11:57 AM)
....but it has a better chance of sounding great.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='258001' date='Aug 8 2008, 12:34 PM']What makes you say that?[/quote]
Several decades of bass playing experience with mixed cab setups and experiencing no problems at all; knowing and seeing other bass players using similar rigs and reading positive reports and reviews over time. 4x10 and 2x10 pairings with 1x15's are a very common and successful combination of bass cabs.
You should be quantifying and qualifying your statement. Monz and other players starting out don't need vague scare stories. He could get hit by lightening or win the lottery; both more likely than getting a [i]"could produce unpredictable results"[/i] situation out of modern bass cabs.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='257851' date='Aug 8 2008, 10:12 AM']I would try the 151 extension cab first - putting the 151 together with a 4x10 could produce unpredictable results.[/quote]

[quote name='chris_b' post='257971' date='Aug 8 2008, 11:57 AM']....but it has a better chance of sounding great.[/quote]

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='258001' date='Aug 8 2008, 12:34 PM']What makes you say that?[/quote]

[quote name='chris_b' post='258724' date='Aug 9 2008, 10:54 AM']QUOTE (bass_ferret @ Aug 8 2008, 10:12 AM)
I would try the 151 extension cab first - putting the 151 together with a 4x10 could produce unpredictable results.

QUOTE (chris_b @ Aug 8 2008, 11:57 AM)
....but it has a better chance of sounding great.

Several decades of bass playing experience with mixed cab setups and experiencing no problems at all; knowing and seeing other bass players using similar rigs and reading positive reports and reviews over time. 4x10 and 2x10 pairings with 1x15's are a very common and successful combination of bass cabs.
You should be quantifying and qualifying your statement. Monz and other players starting out don't need vague scare stories. He could get hit by lightening or win the lottery; both more likely than getting a [i]"could produce unpredictable results"[/i] situation out of modern bass cabs.[/quote]
Just because a 1x15 with a 4x10 or 2x10 is common does not make it right, although I appreciate that lots of players like the results - but then lots of people like the Spice Girls and Take That.

The 2x10 and 4x10 cabs are inherantly flawed because of the dispersion of horizontally aligned drivers and comb filtering but people obviously like the sound of that as well.

Without wishing to speak for the OP, I presume he perferred the sound of the CMD151P to the CMD102P, so if he wants more of the same sound then adding a 151P will give him more of the same sound whilst adding a 210 or 410 would make it sound more like the CMD102P.

And as I can use the quote function correctly I must be right :)

[quote name='chris_b' post='258724' date='Aug 9 2008, 10:54 AM']You should be quantifying and qualifying your statement.[/quote]
Cant because it cannot be done.
[quote name='alexclaber' post='244570' date='Jul 21 2008, 04:58 PM'](snip)Mixing drivers is unpredictable which is why I wouldn't recommend it but if you have the opportunity to test the different mixes to see which work well then I don't have a problem with this. (snip)Scientifically predicting the results of mixing speakers is so difficult you're better off plugging them in and listening. (snip)[/quote]

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='258821' date='Aug 9 2008, 01:43 PM']....Cant because it cannot be done....[/quote]
We are getting side tracked here, but, Monz, in spite of the "technical" reasons why it can't be done... take it from me, you can easily mix 2x10, 4x10 and 1x15 cabs and get a great sound. It's been done a million times. Check out Talkbass as many guys over there successfully mix and match as well.
Be guided by your ears.

[quote name='chris_b' post='258915' date='Aug 9 2008, 04:38 PM']We are getting side tracked here, but, Monz, in spite of the "technical" reasons why it can't be done... take it from me, you can easily mix 2x10, 4x10 and 1x15 cabs and get a great sound. It's been done a million times. Check out Talkbass as many guys over there successfully mix and match as well.
Be guided by your ears.[/quote]
My sentiments exactly - use your ears. What cant be done is to say this 2x10 will work with that 1x15 - its just too complex to make such statements. But it is wrong to assume any 1x15 with any 2x10/4x10 will sound better than 2 1x15 or 2 2x10/4x10.