Why become a member? ×

Amplifying bass and bass pedals through the same rig

spectoremg

Hi everyone,
Firstly, apologies if this duplicates an existing topic, and if so please link me to it.
I'd like to know how to safely run a bass guitar and a Moog Minitaur through the same rig at pub gig volumes. I currently DI the bass to one (mini) mixer channel and the Moog to another and then through my Ashdown MAG 300w/Ashdown 2x10 cab (I have an Ashdown 2x15 cab for gigs). I run this at home at practice volumes only as I was advised by my local music shop that cranking it up might do some damage. I've previously run bass pedals through a band PA with subs but most can't handle it.
Many thanks.

If you use your ears & listen for any driver stress, then it is perfectly doable with your mini mixer.
It depends though, on what your cab can handle. If you're using the Moog for sounds that go lower in Hz than the cabs can handle, then you might be wise to either run the Moog through an active PA cab or add a PA sub to your bass rig & keep the lows backed off on the Ashdown.

You could try using a high pass filter to cut the very low frequencies that might cause potential damage to your drivers (and will certainly gobble up all your amp headroom), we mostly hear the harmonics on very low notes rather than the fundamental anyway. You might be suprised by how high you can set a high pass filter without compromising the sound.

I was setting up with a band once and getting a level using a PK-5 and a basic sawtooth sound from a Roland Sound Canvas. A woman who'd been sat at the back wandered up and asked what was making her seat vibrate. When I told her she said 'can you keep doing it please!'
I think rather than compromise the sound of either instrument I'd consider the sub option for the pedals.