Why become a member? ×

Sterling SUB Ray 4

Funky Dunky

[quote name='Raslee' timestamp='1420574195' post='2650850']
Nice, where did you get the pick up from? Those pickguards look nice too, tempted for the aged pearl white also.
The Stinger arrived today but it'll probably be tomorrow or the weekend before I fit it. :)
[/quote]

I got the p/up from [url="http://www.guitarfetish.com/GFS-MM-Pro-Plus-Alnico-Music-Man-style-pickup-INCREDIBLE-tone_p_323.html"]http://www.guitarfetish.com/GFS-MM-Pro-Plus-Alnico-Music-Man-style-pickup-INCREDIBLE-tone_p_323.html[/url]. Very quick and efficient service, too. I ordered it on the 1[sup]st[/sup] Feb and it arrived on the 6[sup]th[/sup] after being flown half-way round the world for £37.46 inc. p&p.

Edited by ColinB

[quote name='ColinB' timestamp='1420532425' post='2650257']
ooooo - let us know how the stinger pre-amp works out please. I've got a GFS MM pro plus on order...... so I'll make some comment about that when it's arrived and installed.

Does it look as good as the photo?

I'm tempted by one of these..... from here... [url="http://www.guitarselectric.co.uk/product/music_man_stingray_bass_4_scratch_plate"]http://www.guitarsel...4_scratch_plate[/url]

[/quote]

Are the genuine EBMM pickguards a good fit on the SbMM SUBs? I have a vague recollection of seeing it mentioned that they weren't exactly the same shape, although I may just be getting muddled with the old OLP stuff.

I passed my SbMM SUB on to my gf's kids when I got a Stingray - can try one of my spare pickguards on it if you're not totally sure if it'll fit?

That's very kind of you, sir! I have seen a piccie of a SUB Ray4 with an aged-pearl p/guard on.... and unless he paid £56 for it from WD (i.e. 1/5[sup]th[/sup] the cost of the bass!!!!) than I'm going to presume he got it from my linked place at £12. I'll take a punt.

Mine looks smart with a pearl pickguard. I think mine is parchment pearl, so off-white. Got it off ebay from someone called "[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/guitars_electric?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2754"]guitars_electric[/url]". It required a bit of filing around the pickup and a couple of the pickguard screws had to go in a wee bit wonky, but no drilling required.

[quote name='Heket' timestamp='1420653378' post='2651783']
Mine looks smart with a pearl pickguard. I think mine is parchment pearl, so off-white. Got it off ebay from someone called "[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/guitars_electric?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2754"]guitars_electric[/url]". It required a bit of filing around the pickup and a couple of the pickguard screws had to go in a wee bit wonky, but no drilling required.
[/quote]

A-ha! That's the ebay outlet of the shop that I linked to..... so it's good to know that they fit, even with a bit of filing. It certainly looks good on your Ray4. I've just given mine a fret-dress and put some faux-blocks on the neck. I'll take a photo tomorrow in the natural light.

How does it sound with the Fender Rumble? Is that the 100 or the 200W? The Rumble 200 and the TC electronics BG250 are top of my list of 'next amp'.

Edited by ColinB

Actually it's the 40W :blush: I'm only a bedroom player (for now) and would only do small jams at the moment if anything. It's my first amp. The amp is fine but the speaker is a bit meh. It's not very responsive at lower volumes. With the Ray I don't notice it as much because the tone controls aren't exactly subtle, but with the P-bass it's very noticible. I don't know if the other Rumbles suffer from that issue, but be wary if you want to play a larger amp at bedroom levels.

I tried a friend's Roland cube 100W on the weekend, I liked that better, at low volumes. It's all about the volume!

So...fitted the Stinger pre amp, very easy install. Quick overview, I think the stock preamp was closer to perhaps the more modern stingray tone that i remember, but as aforementioned lots of issues with the sound distorting, volume was virtually useless although I'm mindful there was a modification that could be done to solve that - wasn't overly impressed with the EQ tone controls either, although they weren't terrible...i guess after all it is a £250 bass and not a £1250. The Stinger preamp has a more mellow vibe to it, much better EQ control over the sound...quite Pre EB esq...but obviously with a little imagination thrown in B)

In comparison to the stock I was initially a little disappointed with the Stinger as the top end had been smoothed out a little too much for my liking. I thought the pre amp was quite similar in sound to the John East Pre EB having owned one of those in a Pre EB Ray some years ago (why did i sell it :rolleyes: ...Stingraypete was right - although i do now own a YOB Jazz from 1974 and we all know Jazz basses are the best basses ever right :P ), anyhow from memory perhaps the John East pre was a little more refined shall we say than the Stinger, and i think i had mid control too on the East. So back to the Stinger, the real change came from changing the strings on the bass, i put some Roto's on that i had knocking around and the top end Zing was stronger...and of course so was all the little Chili Pepper/RATM licks of my youth. The stinger is still smoother than the stock pre amp, but in a good way, not quite the full parameters of a USA Stingray sound but somewhere in the spectrum, and yes perhaps more akin to the pre EB sound IMO. I too have ordered the GFS MM pickup to see if that adds much; for the price of them i thought its worth a dabble, although again the stock pick up with the Zinger Stinger is a nice combination.

The acid test for both sound and playability of the S.U.B. 4 was last night at a club gig with my soul/funktions band. I did once do a gig at the same venue depping for a similar band using a Ray34 and the experience was dire and it really put me off using a Ray in that soul/Motown context...which of course the Precision is king :ph34r: But, alas, I was very surprised, tone rolled down a bit, bass back a bit and going through a Genz Streamliner & Focus 1x12"...i was grinning all night, great tone and presence in the mix - it was a nice rounded funky vibe, good definition and the bass played wonderful, no qualms. The sound engineer who was also a bass player was mightily impressed with the bass itself and tone, even unplugged. Lovely jazz width neck on these S.U.B.S too, so easy on my little chubby hands.

Having owned several rays in the past i have to say these S.U.B.s are great for the money...or maybe i was lucky with mine who knows. Visually I the love the wood grain showing through the wine stain and the action is low and sweet, no sharp edges...whats not to like, may get some better tuners one day though. I prefer my tone to the Ray 34 i owned and i don't miss the Slab bodies of the US SUBs either, although they sound great!,...so all in all the SUB & Stinger preamp makes for a good and very interesting Stingray type bass....should be a keeper for a few weeks at least :D

Edited by Raslee