Why become a member? ×

Gretsch Broadkaster G6119B Japan Reissue.....advice?

surfguy13

Hi Guys

I'm seriously considering one of these second hand and was wondering if anyone had used or owned one and had an opinion? I realise that short scale basses aren't everybody's cup of tea but as a guitarist that plays bass I think the shorter scale may work on one or two levels. Particularly with the larger hollow body.

The only other short scale bass I've owned was an early 70s EB3 which sounded great, and the scale was fine and worked OK, but the neck was maple and far too heavy for the body so neck dive killed it for me.

I believe these 'professional' range guitars and basses from Gretsch are made in japan and are really high quality but have no personal experience.

Any views or words of wisdom would be very much appreciate before I take the plunge!!! :)

Never played one, but the guitar equivalents are beyond superb.

Fantastically put together, sound great and look the part.

Played the electromatic bass versions, and they're nice, but putting 2 and 2 together, they don't 'breathe' like their more expensive counterparts.

If it's a decent price, go for it, you can always sell it on again (I'd assume it'd take a little longer than a precision bass to sell, but you wouldn't lose money...in theory).

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1417342981' post='2619230']
Never played one, but the guitar equivalents are beyond superb.

Fantastically put together, sound great and look the part.

Played the electromatic bass versions, and they're nice, but putting 2 and 2 together, they don't 'breathe' like their more expensive counterparts.

If it's a decent price, go for it, you can always sell it on again (I'd assume it'd take a little longer than a precision bass to sell, but you wouldn't lose money...in theory).
[/quote]

[b]Really [/b]helpful, thanks a lot for that!

Yeah, it was the reputation of the jap reissue guitars (the pro range) that made me seriously consider the broadkaster. I had no idea that Gretsch made reissue basses and as I was looking for a semi rather than a solid body bass this seemed to fit the bill.....and at £600 inc case and 9 out of 10 condition it seemed like a really good deal. I had come to the same conclusion.......it's probably worth buying just to try it for 6 months and if I get on with it......great. If I don't I should be able to get my money back and that can't be bad.

I'm familiar with short scale basses (and guitars( having had the EB3 and know that they are a bit of a compromise in relation to a 34" scale bass but I'm interested to see just how they differ from a soild body like a Jazz. A LOT no doubt!!! :) Certainly in terms of sound. I guess I'm slightly concerned about a floating bridge but that can be sorted with double-sided tape so.......?

Anyway, comments are very much appreciated.

I played one in a shop and found the neck dive horrendous. Everything else about it was great though. Although, come to think of it I can't remember if it was the short scale!

Check out the Guild Starfire if you're wanting a SS semi. I've just got one and it's great :)

Any-hoo, try the Gretsch before you buy and take a strap!

Edited by Billy Apple

It's funny, the short scale hollowbodies end up feeling about the same size as a full scale Fender, and then stuff like the Jack Casady Epiphone ends up feeling super long.

I've owned the Jack Casady (fully hollow, long scale) and it did want to head to the floor at times; there's no weight in the body and the neck is all the way out to the left. I gigged mine plenty and you just get used to it - I bought a wide strap which seemed to solve the issue.

I had a DeArmond Starfire for a week or so recently and it sat really odd on me - I tend to wear basses around the middle-high on a strap (not Mark King chinwarmer high, more sensible Pino Palladino height 😂) and that was a short scale with no neck dive.

As Billy States, take a strap, but £600 seems very fair, and you'd not struggle to recoup that.

They do a similar looking Electromatic version, but that's long scale and I can imagine that would be a balance nightmare.

I've often been tempted, but always end up missing out, or buying something else.

My 'hollow body' is currently a Danelectro DC59, and it covers that sound for me - I've got a bad back, and always end up back with Fender Precisions as they suit me ergonomically, if not always sound wise...

I'd say this Gretsch is worth a punt, and if the balance isn't 100% then try a suede-backed strap to help grip it to your shoulder.

Edited by AndyTravis

[b] Fender Vintage Phillips Head Telecaster Tele Bridge Saddle Length Screws[/b]

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1417346633' post='2619300']
I played one in a shop and found the neck dive horrendous. Everything else about it was great though. Although, come to think of it I can't remember if it was the short scale!

Check out the Guild Starfire if you're wanting a SS semi. I've just got one and it's great :)

Any-hoo, try the Gretsch before you buy and take a strap!
[/quote]

That's a large part of the problem, and the main reason for this post, if I do buy the Gretsch it will have to be unseen which I am extremely reluctant to do.

You mentioned that you'd tried one in a shop......was that the Gretsch or the EB3 I mentioned in my post? If it was the Gretsch then I really do appreciate the nod as this was my real concern....a large hollow body and a solid neck!!!! A recipe for neck dive if ever there was one. The Broadkaster is in Luton with Coda who are one of the best shops in the UK, for me anyway, and I know that if it wasn't right they'd sort something out for me but it seems like a lot of hassle if there is a chance of it being neck heavy.

I tried all sorts of straps with the old EB3 to try and contain the neck dive but nothing worked and I found myself constantly wrestling with the neck to keep it 'up'.

Anyway, thanks for the info...
[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1417347683' post='2619324']
It's funny, the short scale hollowbodies end up feeling about the same size as a full scale Fender, and then stuff like the Jack Casady Epiphone ends up feeling super long.

I've owned the Jack Casady (fully hollow, long scale) and it did want to head to the floor at times; there's no weight in the body and the neck is all the way out to the left. I gigged mine plenty and you just get used to it - I bought a wide strap which seemed to solve the issue.

I had a DeArmond Starfire for a week or so recently and it sat really odd on me - I tend to wear basses around the middle-high on a strap (not Mark King chinwarmer high, more sensible Pino Palladino height ) and that was a short scale with no neck dive.

As Billy States, take a strap, but £600 seems very fair, and you'd not struggle to recoup that.

They do a similar looking Electromatic version, but that's long scale and I can imagine that would be a balance nightmare.

I've often been tempted, but always end up missing out, or buying something else.

My 'hollow body' is currently a Danelectro DC59, and it covers that sound for me - I've got a bad back, and always end up back with Fender Precisions as they suit me ergonomically, if not always sound wise...

I'd say this Gretsch is worth a punt, and if the balance isn't 100% then try a suede-backed strap to help grip it to your shoulder.
[/quote]

The Gretsch may well be worth a punt as you say and it's not a lot of cash for a very well made instrument but I think I'm going to have a word with Coda again tomorrow and ask if they can check the Broadkaster out for balance on a strap, I'm sure they'll be happy to do that.

I had wondered about an Epi Jack Cassidy (having been a lifelong Jefferson Airplane fan!! :) ) and somebody told me exactly what you have said.......that the body is so large that the 34" scale makes the bass feel [i]very [/i]elongated indeed and also are a bit neck heavy as a result.

I too wear basses middle-high, certainly the Jazz and I have now and the old Ps I've had in the past, and that does definitely help where neck dive is concerned. I've got a 25 + year old D'addario strap that pumps up like a lilo (honest!) and it's the best strap I've ever owned. It's also very wide over the shoulder. When you pump up the cushion inside the strap it inflates ridges and if you get just the right amount of air in there it does hold a bass fairly well in place.....however, mine has now given up the ghost and no longer inflates but it's still a great strap!! :)

I'll speak to Coda tomorrow and see what I can glean.......thanks again for all the advice.

It's all part of the fun.

Always wanted a kingbass, got one and persevered for 12 months. Sat down I loved it, on a strap it just didn't work; I got a sore left side when I used it for long rehearsals.

I yearned for a rickenbacker for 10 years, bought one, hated it.

Expensive mistakes, but all good fun.

Gear is mint, but it's all a journey - started 18 years ago on a red pbass copy, main bass now?

A red p bass...