Why become a member? ×

Non-Muso Advice Please.

kopite18times

Back on topic:
Get the Guitars to cut their low end below 150 to 200Hz.
Bear in mind that for recording purposes it's usual to do this even though it sounds not so great in isolation.

You may need to boost mids to get audible. Again may not sound great soloed but works better in band contest.
Assuming all bass guitar coming from your amp then it's going to be something of a compromise between monitor sound and what the audience hears.

More esoterically: If Kick Drum is double headed try to tune it to mask your bass less

Consider if in ear monitors are practicable ?

Good Luck !....

Edited by rmorris

Yeah, middy tone sounds horrible in isolation but in a band situation works just fine.

Also make sure you're not scooping the EQ on your BTB too. I'd cut the bass entirely from the onboard EQ. Do you blend the pups or just favour one or the other? I'd be using the bridge pup on its own if I was suffering from a bass heavy tone.

Have you tried replacing your strings? Old strings can sound very dull and lifeless. A fresh set should put some zing back into your sound! You say you play fingerstyle; where? If you play close to the neck, you'll have a really thuddy tone. You'll get more definition playing nearer the bridge.

Again, if you could point the speaker towards your head that'll help a lot!

Truckstop

If you've got the VPF filter turned anywhere up, it scoops your mids & boosts the bass & treble. This can make it get lost in the band.
I used to play in a 2 guitar band (a couple of different ones) with a MarkBass 2x10 combo & had no probs being heard. The biggest issues being getting the guitarists to 1, turn down their lows & 2, turn down the volume.
Raise your combo up a bit from the floor & if you've got the 2x10, put it vertically so one driver is above the other.
The other issue is you may just be standing in the wrong place. If you're standing over the top of your combo, then it's a bit like trying to watch TV from above.