Why become a member? ×

Hardest Standard

gadgie

Another thing which can be really hard to nail and get right is dynamics. We did a gig a while back and one of the bands did rock covers---they were very tight and could all play but there was something not quite "right" about them. Finally it dawned on me that they were just the same volume level all the time. No dynamics, no light or shade to the songs---just bash through everything at the same level. It becomes really boring to listen to.

I think it's easy to knock a player that is either covering lots of basses (a couple of puns there) or standing in on a gig. If I saw the same player a few times in a rock only band struggling then fair enough but I like many others cover a multitude of genres in one gig and I'm yet to see one player that really nails them all, myself included, rock and Indie is probably my strongest genre but we do reggae, ska, disco, Pop, soul etcetc, I'm sure some people would do a better job than me at the reggae but those same people might not be able to rock out so well.As long as the audience are happy I am too, there will always be a know it all, Paul McCartney's mates sister in law that will tell you what the band is doing wrong without us lot piling in IMO :)