Why become a member? ×

Thinking of teaching...

iamtheelvy

Hey guys,
I'm trying to break out of a bit of a rut - normal thing of working in the office all day, then trying to have time to play and gig in the evening. I'm considering starting up teaching bass, just a part-time evening thing to start. I have a background in music theory, sight reading etc, though I do need to brush up on it again!

The thing is, I'm pretty happy with the content, but I'm wondering how those who teach structure your lessons? I could happily talk bass for hours, but I know that may not be the most useful way forward for a new player!

Any hints, tips or cheats from those who teach? :-)

I think the starting point is the student. Most bass players who seek lessons are not beginners in the traditional sense and your first task is to establish where they are in terms of targeting thier learning needs. Jake Newman (jakenewmanbass) is brilliant at this.

[quote name='iamtheelvy' timestamp='1415267254' post='2598498']
I have a background in music theory, sight reading etc,[/quote]

I'm sure you are well up on your theory etc, but you'd need to make sure that you have the skills required[size=4] to convey it.[/size]

It is one thing to know your stuff but a different thing altogether to be able to put it across
in an easy to understand way.

True that... I tried teaching some ten years ago or so, and it is a tricky skill to nail down. Gave up pretty quick then. I think (hope?) that I've matured since then and have better capabilities to express myself well. That said, I am looking at really getting into my own personal learning again before taking anyone else on!

Most important thing is what your student wants to get out of the tuition. If they want to learn to play covers for fun or in a band situation, probably best not to start with harmonics. I know as this happened to me :)

Knowing theory and being able to impart it in a fun and understandable way is a neat trick, but very rewarding when your student starts to 'get It'.

I have found that for a complete novice (no musical background) TAB is useful to start with to actually play some music so they can feel they have made some progress early on. You can fill in the theory as you go.

[quote name='LemonCello' timestamp='1415366962' post='2599651']
I have found that for a complete novice (no musical background) TAB is useful to start with to actually play some music so they can feel they have made some progress early on.
[/quote]

* fetches popcorn *