Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Straighten a neck with backbow (not truss rod)

tbj

Hi,

I've a Yamaha RBX 350 (which was my very first bass when I was a kid) which I am currently restoring.

It was in fairly bad shape and had been stored lent up against a wall without any strings on for some time (3 years or so), and the neck seems to have taken on a permanent backbow. I've loosened off the truss rod entirely and strung it up, leaving it overnight, and the neck has straightened out a bit, but still has a fret buzz on the first fret - it's straight-ish but has no relief. Ideally I need to give it some relief which I can then take up with the truss rod.

What's the best way to do this? I've heard of various methods from stringing it up with a dowel at the last fret to clamping it in a vice and using heat, moisture and pressure to bend it. Ideally I need the bass next weekend as I'm doing some recording soon and the plan was to set this bass up perfectly as my other one has seen better days (nothing like last minute preperations, eh?), so whichever method I choose needs to work fairly fast. Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers!

R

Edited by tbj

I've never had to deal with this kind of problem but off the top of my head you might put on a set of heavier strings to see if the extra tension gives you the necessary relief. How long have you now had strings on it? If it's been left unstrung for that amount of time it might take a few days to settle down.