Why become a member? ×

NBD: Fender Precision Classic 50

mcnach

Wow! So pleased you've got one now and that you're enjoying playing it so much too - they really are brilliant bass guitars!
I had flat wounds on mine and it sounded amazing !
I'm thinking about selling my Warwick Streamer now to fund one of these in the sunburst colour - I really shouldn't have sold my red one in the first place !!!
Enjoy!

• 4 years later...

End of an era.

Many gigs played, photographs with it included in my band's second album (even if I didn't record with it)... and this bass is no longer mine: I sold it last night.

:(

I'll miss it. But it was not getting much use these days and I decided to sell 2-3 instruments in order to pay for my new Sandberg VM4... and this one was sold before the others.

IMG_20190803_133340232.jpg?dl=1

On 17/08/2019 at 11:05, mcnach said:

End of an era.

Many gigs played, photographs with it included in my band's second album (even if I didn't record with it)... and this bass is no longer mine: I sold it last night.

:(

I'll miss it. But it was not getting much use these days and I decided to sell 2-3 instruments in order to pay for my new Sandberg VM4... and this one was sold before the others.

IMG_20190803_133340232.jpg?dl=1

What caused it to go unused if I may ask?

Just go back to bridge pickup basses?

I only ask out of interest as I have the same model but the honey blonde version (I also hated the gold pickguard, touching it gave me the heeby jeebies). The red looks amazing with white pickguard.

How much did you get for it if you don't mind saying?

9 hours ago, thegummy said:

What caused it to go unused if I may ask?

Just go back to bridge pickup basses?

I only ask out of interest as I have the same model but the honey blonde version (I also hated the gold pickguard, touching it gave me the heeby jeebies). The red looks amazing with white pickguard.

How much did you get for it if you don't mind saying?

A combination of things. I love how it sounds, and feels, but I just tend to use my Stingray more. A lot more. I had 5 basses capable of Precision type sounds right now: the two Marusczcyk, the Schecter Model T, the Squier Matt Dirnt (with a maple replacement neck that I found) and the Classic 50s Fender. They all sound different, and lately I realised I preferred the slightly less wide neck I put on the Matt Dirnt. This is a very light bass, I put a Seymour Duncan SPB-1 on years ago, and although it wasn't as nice as teh Classic 50s, it feels a bit more comfortable and I play it a lot more... So the Classic 50 was a candidate to go. I actually put a few basses up for sale, including the P/JJ Maruszczyk, the SUB, and others... but as usual, anything with Fender on the headstock sells first.

I asked for £600, expecting some degree of negotiation. I got £525 for it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mcnach said:

A combination of things. I love how it sounds, and feels, but I just tend to use my Stingray more. A lot more. I had 5 basses capable of Precision type sounds right now: the two Marusczcyk, the Schecter Model T, the Squier Matt Dirnt (with a maple replacement neck that I found) and the Classic 50s Fender. They all sound different, and lately I realised I preferred the slightly less wide neck I put on the Matt Dirnt. This is a very light bass, I put a Seymour Duncan SPB-1 on years ago, and although it wasn't as nice as teh Classic 50s, it feels a bit more comfortable and I play it a lot more... So the Classic 50 was a candidate to go. I actually put a few basses up for sale, including the P/JJ Maruszczyk, the SUB, and others... but as usual, anything with Fender on the headstock sells first.

I asked for £600, expecting some degree of negotiation. I got £525 for it.

Cool man.

I like the Marusczcyk website, can't believe the price you can get a completely customised bass for.

Do the fretboards on those have rounded edges like American Fenders or square edges like the Classic 50s?

8 hours ago, thegummy said:

Cool man.

I like the Marusczcyk website, can't believe the price you can get a completely customised bass for.

Do the fretboards on those have rounded edges like American Fenders or square edges like the Classic 50s?

I didn't specify anything, so the edges are not rounded off, although they feel quite smooth. However, I'm sure you can get rounded edges if you asked. 

• Thanks 1