garry warrington

Re previous -
I have a p bass put together with different parts as mentioned ,
Maple body
Rosewood neck
cts pots
seymour duncan spb2
Amp- Ashdown Syder 330 and David Eden 210
Re string with worn in DR Sunbeams which have improved the tone,previously had Rotosound 66 just couldnt get the tone!

The Sound i want is the Tone on Crusaders -Streetlife, Forget me nots or say Alphonso Johnson in the 70s
I feel neck is letting me down a bit it feels cheap, most responses i get is to not change the neck
I have seen many you tube clips with musos nailing that tone,were am i going wrong guys!!
I

The neck has some but not as much effect on the tone as you seem to imagine. Rosewood fingerboards seem to give a warmer, darker sound than a maple board which is a point in your favour. You have gone from (probably) steel roundwounds to nickel roundwounds and nickel offers a warmer, slightly darker tone than steel with a roundwound string. From what I've seen in your previous thread on this, the suggestion has been made to put some flats on your P bass which you've yet to try. Get some steel flats on before you try swapping anything else around.

[quote name='garry warrington' timestamp='1412971564' post='2573846']
Re previous -
I have a p bass put together with different parts as mentioned ,
Maple body
Rosewood neck
cts pots
seymour duncan spb2
Amp- Ashdown Syder 330 and David Eden 210
Re string with worn in DR Sunbeams which have improved the tone,previously had Rotosound 66 just couldnt get the tone!

The Sound i want is the Tone on Crusaders -Streetlife, Forget me nots or say Alphonso Johnson in the 70s
I feel neck is letting me down a bit it feels cheap, most responses i get is to not change the neck
I have seen many you tube clips with musos nailing that tone,were am i going wrong guys!!
I
[/quote]
This is not a dig at you, but whats your technique like? Majority of how you sound will come from how you play. It's the reason why Jamerson would always sound like Jamerson, why Pino sounds like Pino. Do you get my point?

Also I'm gonna guess you're listening to studio versions of the songs in questions? If so, then you need to remember that the bass tones are mixed and processed and fiddled with to make them sound the way they do.