Why become a member? ×

Fender japan aerodyne question

uk_lefty

Does anyone own a Japanese fender Aerodyne bass? I'm seriously considering it because being a lefty I will have something uncommon and good quality with a painted headstock (superficial I know but I want it so much!!). However I remember reading an article years back saying that the Aerodyne P pickup did not compare at all to the traditional P bass tone - anyone foud this to be true with the Japanese model? I already have a heavily upgraded Mexican J so am also considering the Japanese 57 P as an alternative to the Aerodyne...
Thank you

I have the Aerodyne Jazz. Must say it gets more attention than I do at gigs. Mine is candy Apple red. I find the P pickup pretty nice actually, but the Jazz pickup was weedy and snoisy so I changed it out. Recently just done a slot with the BBC radio and the sound guy said it sounded really really nice. Playability it is awesome and sounds amazing. I really dont think I'll ever need a different bass!

Edited by lefrash

Thanks! Am I right in thinking there are Japanese Aerodynes and "others"? Or is it just export and non export Japanese? I think a PJ would suit me very well but just a little reluctant on spending so much on a bass if I have to change out the pickups, I don't really expect that from MIJ Fender, but hey my MIM Jazz has only the neck and body as original parts so I can't really comment too much!!

If your after a PJ MIJ its not just the aerodyne. Ive got one of these and its sounds and plays fantastic, the only slight annoyance is because its based on a '62 the truss rod adjustment its at the heel and no access. Think its probably a bit heavier than an aerodyne as well but nicely ballanced.

http://www.fenderjapan.co.jp/jb62pjbdmh.html