Why become a member? ×

I built this today...

umcoo

Hello friends, today I finished a General Guitar Gadgets Big Muff. I went with the Green Sovtek version as I had an original last year, but had to sell it. Needless to say, this sounds awesome, still got that great grunting muff tone I love! No clips before anyone asks :)

Was a pretty easy build, but took me a while due to it being ym first one. It's 'natural' not, but I may paint it a nice pastel green next month. Enjoy...

It all goes through this setup, got that orange combo last week too, sounds amazing for the size. W00t¬!

P.S Special thanks to Bremen who helped me source some missing caps! I owe you a beer!

Edited by umcoo

[quote name='ahpook' post='250058' date='Jul 28 2008, 11:14 PM']looks like a tidy bit of work...top stuff ![/quote]

+1

I got one of the 'Large Beaver' big muff kits from vibeotronics a few months back and built it to rams head era specs and did a fairly good job of building it to find i'd got the pots all messed up and the LED was put in the wrong way :huh: so i sent it off to Martin Owen (of owen electronics fame) and he did a cracking job of sorting out the pot and LED (put in a bright blue one instead of the red one in the kit) and also modded it to better suit my needs. I used plasticote metalic blue spray paint for the finish, just cleaned up the casing and gave it 3 coats and bingo a nice even blue finish IMO

all the nice tidy wiring is Martins work not mine as mine looked abit like spaghetti junction :) He's well worth a shout for any pedal mods.

[quote name='ahpook' post='250721' date='Jul 29 2008, 07:03 PM']very impressive !

i can't stand the super-bright leds though...i'm too much of a cave-dweller for the bright lights[/quote]

It is a little on the bright side but when its on and if your not looming over your pedalboard then the sustain knob hides the worst of it :)

pablo - so did you just sand the box then 3 coats of colour? I was looking at dsanding, primer, colour, clear, but it all seems such a ballache to me. Plus I'm not after a really pro job.

Not to say yours doesn't look pro!! it looks sweet :)

[quote name='umcoo' post='251093' date='Jul 30 2008, 10:40 AM']pablo - so did you just sand the box then 3 coats of colour? I was looking at dsanding, primer, colour, clear, but it all seems such a ballache to me. Plus I'm not after a really pro job.

Not to say yours doesn't look pro!! it looks sweet :)[/quote]

I used wire wool and white spirits on the casing to clean of any gunk/oil on the casing let it dry and yeh gave it 3 coats of the paint giving each about an hour or so to dry inbetween coats. i was gonna use black primer for a realy deep blue but the way the pirst coat came out i was happy enough with how the colour came out