Why become a member? ×

Aftermarket bodies

Jono Bolton

It's relatively easy to find replacement necks for sale, and there's a wealth of information about which ones are good quality and give you bang for your buck, but there's not as much about replacement bodies.

I've got a 'bitsa' P Bass with a body from an old Mexican Fender which seen better days; there's several dings and scratches which are fine by me, but there are a few unsightly chips in the finish, the worst being where a previous owner has tried fitting a bridge cover and caused the finish to split and chip out in a 5mm circle around the screw holes.

I'd quite like a natural finish but as it's Mexican it's a bit Russian Roulette as to what the wood's like under the finish, so a refin doesn't seem like a feasible option, so does anyone have any recommendations for well made and reasonably priced P Bass bodies?

I got a 2 piece Ash body from TMG in Germany (on ebay). It was cheap (about £90-£100) and decent.
The wood was excellent, with lovely grain.
However, the negatives were ....... no bridge earthing hole drilled (had to get a long drill bit). The neck slot was actually routed about 1cm too short to get the scale length and pickup position just right, so I lengthened it by 1cm with my magical Dremel.
After that it was awesome, but did require quite a bit of fiddling to get it in that state.

[quote name='davedave' timestamp='1410336805' post='2548186']
I've used guitarbuild.co.uk a fair bit now. Good quality stuff.

I can recommend Wudtone for finishing too. Nice any easy to apply.
[/quote]

Cheers davedave, their site looks decent, and I like that you can pick a pre-made one and see exactly what you're getting, there's some nice grains going on there.

[quote name='Jono Bolton' timestamp='1410430914' post='2549312']

Cheers davedave, their site looks decent, and I like that you can pick a pre-made one and see exactly what you're getting, there's some nice grains going on there.
[/quote]

I agree. Somehow I'd not known about them before. I would definitely consider them in the future.