Why become a member? ×

help needed recording with audacity

Bay Splayer

Mark...

I think you need to give a bit more info.. :)
What sound card?
Is Audacity set right...?
Connections...?
What are you monitoring through..?
16 bit / 24 bit...?

I see you are in Essex as well....where?
And you might be a Hammers fan?

Garry

[quote name='lowdown' post='251881' date='Jul 31 2008, 10:16 AM']Mark...

I think you need to give a bit more info.. :)
What sound card?
Is Audacity set right...?
Connections...?
What are you monitoring through..?
16 bit / 24 bit...?

I see you are in Essex as well....where?
And you might be a Hammers fan?

Garry[/quote]

hello Garry
gonna sound a right div here, but here goes....

are sound cards already in new laptops :huh: (mine is a fujitsu siemens pi2515, 250gb) vista home premium
audacity was on a disc i have but am gonna uninstall and download again
passive bass to amp (hartke a100 combo) pre-amp out into pc
listen through headphones
16 bit/24 bit....dont understand (told you i am a div at this type of thing) please explain :huh:

southend based and a lifelong hammer :huh:

I had a similar problem on a desktop (this one went loud and quiet) ...

I found the onboard sound to be at fault - get a USB interface and improve the sound quality ,beat latency and fix your problem in one.

Something like [url="http:///www.thomann.de/gb/line6_toneport_gx.htm"]this[/url] would do fine.

Yes, sound cards are built in to PCs, but you didn't say you were using the built-in sound card, so we have to ask. The chipset on the soundcard might be OK, but laptops typically don't have the required sockets to take full advantage, so I wouldn't want to use one of those for serious recording.

Your laptop has a combined Mic / Line In socket, and you want it to work as Line In. I [i]suspect[/i] it has some kind of mode switching based on the type of cable you're plugging in: mono or stereo. You say it sounds OK at first, so it sounds like you've got the right basic idea, but something is going wrong intermittently. It sounds like a dodgy cable, to be honest.

Have you tried the amp by itself, in to the PC & Audacity? The MP3 player by itself in to the PC? Wiggled the cables any? You might need to change something in the Vista audio settings under "Recording" - not sure, since I don't use Vista.

It's a bit much to expect us to tell you exactly what's wrong, since we aren't there and can't see what you're doing. If you learn to sort this stuff out yourself, then you won't be stuck waiting for help from other people. :)

Hi from a fellow Southender (well, Rayleigh now, but close). Make sure that your laptop input is the line-in and not the microphone-in (the mic pre-amps on stock soundcards are no good). Also try to find something to monitor the input levels with, I believe that Audacity has that abilit, and make sure that the input levels are not peaking into the red which will either sound distorted or muffled.

For best results you can't go far wrong with investing in a good external sound card. I use a Zoom H4, which is a live recorder, 4 track, multi-effects, external soundcard all-in-one and I highly recommend.