Why become a member? ×

Phil Lynott : 65th birthday - 'Live & Dangerous' day on BC?

The Admiral

[quote name='The Admiral' timestamp='1421705836' post='2664227']
I remember an article about gear, and he was talking about basses and amps - and had moved to Dynacord BS412 I think, and the quote was "they have really saved my life....".
[/quote]

If only they had... :(

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1421845464' post='2665627']

If only they had... :(
[/quote]

Indeed. Listened to Chinatown, and then Renegade, followed by Thunder and Lightning on a long train journey yesterday and a couple of things struck me : firstly, how amateurish the production sounds on Chinatown for such a 'big' band, and how, over the course of those albums timeframe, Phil's voice had gone from a sweet and soulful baritone, to a husky, raw and somewhat ruined growl. Not a stylistic intent IMHO, but rather the ravages of his habits. Very sad.

Edited by The Admiral

[quote name='The Admiral' timestamp='1421885257' post='2666353']
Phil's voice had gone from a sweet and soulful baritone, to a husky, raw and somewhat ruined growl. Not a stylistic intent IMHO, but rather the ravages of his habits.[/quote]

While I'm sure that's a factor, the music also got progressively "heavier" (leaving out some of the jazzy tracks on Renegade), especially when John Sykes joined the band - so maybe some of it was stylistic too, although perhaps enforced by the other issues...

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1421922111' post='2666550']

While I'm sure that's a factor, the music also got progressively "heavier" (leaving out some of the jazzy tracks on Renegade), especially when John Sykes joined the band - so maybe some of it was stylistic too, although perhaps enforced by the other issues...
[/quote]

Point taken, although even allowing for the heavier sound, it's still a porter instrument I think.

Regarding Phil's habits, I was interested to note that a number of what appear well informed fan sites suggest much of Chinatown was written by Snowy White, with Phil - and in that order, as his drug habit was impacting on his creativity and basic ability to function at the level he had previously. Also, the Thunder and Lightning album was written and demoed before Sykes came on board, bar a couple of tracks. The latter would refute the suggestion that Sykes is to blame for what many Lizzy fans apparently think of as a bad change of direction into a borderline metal band - which Lizzy never were. I also saw it suggested that Scott Gorham virtually downs T&L now and is reluctant to discuss it - but who knows, there will always be gossip of this nature.

[quote name='The Admiral' timestamp='1421923650' post='2666578']Thunder and Lightning... what many Lizzy fans apparently think of as a bad change of direction into a borderline metal band - which Lizzy never were.
[/quote]

While I can see their point, to be fair it was only the title track and Cold Sweat that were metal-like IMO. There are some very good - more typical Lizzy - tracks on that album too. The Sun goes down is one of my all-time favourite tracks by any band, never mind Lizzy themselves! B)

The biggest problem within the band from Chinatown onwards was sadly Phil himself and the abuse that was taking its toll, I would add that Scott to was well on his way and his input was sadly lacking as well, this issues combined, brought Lizzy to brink.

I do think that Phil changed his style some what, as for the "metal" of T&L the harder edge never bothered me, just as the punkier attitude of Alibi or Get outta here from Black Rose never bothered me, Phil always kept himself in touch with the way music was moving at the time, its was a part of what made Lizzy special for me.

[quote name='Lynottfan' timestamp='1421949897' post='2667042']Phil always kept himself in touch with the way music was moving at the time, its was a part of what made Lizzy special for me.
[/quote]

Totally! That has been one of the joys for me in recently re-discovering his solo albums. He really could turn his hand to almost any style he wanted...

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-xMaCwwiA8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-xMaCwwiA8[/url]
[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKrYDJ20vfg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKrYDJ20vfg[/url]

[quote name='Lynottfan' timestamp='1422381703' post='2671962']
His solo albums are a little hit or miss, but when they hit, there are some heat tunes on them, I was never was overly struck on the stuff with the "soul" band, but again it does show Phil's diversity.
[/quote]

I agree. When they first came out I was not impressed. I was in my teens and didn't understand good songwriting... Now, as a "mature" fellow, I "get" what he was saying far better - especially the stuff about kids, relationships, drink and drugs, etc.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1422447486' post='2672721']
I hadn't seen that clip of the soul band before. Still can't quite work out what Jimmy Bain was doing there on the second set of keyboards.
[/quote]

He co-wrote a lot of that material (and played keys on the solo albums), and as there were already two bass players in the band... :D

OK, didn't know any writing credits for this era. It just looked like Darren Wharton had the keys side pretty much sorted for live work. I'm sure Phil was exactly the sort of bloke who wouldn't want a collaborator and mate left out so if it meant 2 sets of keys then so be it!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

[quote name='ianrendall' timestamp='1423263731' post='2683061']
I'm wondering, am I the only person who's favourite Lynott song is 'Old Town'?
[/quote]

There is so much to choose from... but Old Town would be right up there at the top of my list too! Incredible composition and, for what is essentially a "pop" tune, very complex. B)

I love it :)

Was very fortunate to be able to play at The Bash for Philo gig in Dublin last year with my Band Black Rose, and have also been asked to play again this year, can't wait. It's a massive honour to play the Music of Phil Lynott and Thin Lizzy in front of his mother, Philomena.