Why become a member? ×

Fender Jb 75 question

Wayward-Wanderer

Do you mean the pickup cover? Around where a right handed players right hand goes??

If you do then it...er....covers the pickup?? I think meant to be a convenient hand rest. These days I find it a convenient thing to chuck in a drawer and most players think the same in terms of it's use as a hand rest , though many like the retro look it gives their basses and leave it on if it doesn't get in the way.

It wasn't the first - the Fender Precision had it way before.

There's also one covering the bridge - again , as much use as a chocolate fireguard in my opinion. Same reason for it's inclusion in the design and same reasons why many players retain theirs.
Indeed - many modern Fender designs have omitted these covers , or included them in the box with a new bass but not fitted them . They also sell as an aftermarket part , and vintage ones are sought after by current owners because the chances are the earlier owners chucked them out.

Only other thing I can think you might mean is the bar style of string guide up by the machine heads. I first noticed these on 5 string basses but haven't a clue where they first appeared. They're a variation of the round string guide (also called a tree or a tee) which is designed to increase the angle that the string comes over the nut so the string sits in it better.

Different guitar types - for instance many Gibson designs - slant the whole headstock backwards from the neck so the angle is increased naturally and you don't need a string guide.

Edited by Dr.Dave

[quote name='Wayward-Wanderer' post='248347' date='Jul 26 2008, 11:56 AM']I guess i was talking about the pickup cover! thanks for the help.
If they are an after market part then i definately gonna put the pickup guard and bridge guard on mine.
I think they look Kickass![/quote]

And you're not alone , my friend. You'l find them strewn across ebay if you search pickup covers and bridge covers. Don't get stung for vintage ones.
If your bass doesn't have holes for them you'll have to get the drill out so for Christs sake be careful and get the position right.

If I had mine left you'd be welcome to the bloody things!!!

[quote name='Wayward-Wanderer' post='248347' date='Jul 26 2008, 11:56 AM']I guess i was talking about the pickup cover! thanks for the help.
If they are an after market part then i definately gonna put the pickup guard and bridge guard on mine.
I think they look Kickass![/quote]

They are indeed pickup covers. Largely cosmetic, but Jazz and Precision basses came with them fitted as standard until the late 70s. Most people promptly removed them! Some of the Fender re-issues have them fitted.

The picture you've posted is actually a Lakland (and a very nice one). Here's a link to a Fender 75 reissue with the pickup covers fitted. [url="http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0190302821"]http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0190302821[/url]

They are available as an aftermarket product. Genuine Fender ones will have the large ''F'' on the Bridge cover. If you're interested, I happen to have an unused Fender Jazz set which I was think of putting up in the for sale section (as I no longer own a Jazz!). PM me if you're interested!

Edited by simon1964

Yes, the original Precision (tele-shape headstock) had both covers. Only personal experience I have is with my Marcus Miller Jazz. That has just the front pickup cover. (The bottom one wouldn't fit over the huge badass II bridge, anyway!) Apparently, it's a big part of the Marcus Miller slap technique and works really well as a "wrist rest."

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='248381' date='Jul 26 2008, 12:54 PM']Only personal experience I have is with my Marcus Miller Jazz. Apparently, it's a big part of the Marcus Miller slap technique and works really well as a "wrist rest."[/quote]

Apparently ????

That implies that you don't find it so - correct ?

They really are a love hate thing aren't they. No way you can afford to ignore the comments of a fine player such as Mr Miller but my experience of them has been that they just get in my way. I do find the J bass bridge cover with the F hugely attractive but I wouldn't have one on a bass. I'd love one on the wall to put pens in or something.

I suppose - if I'm honest - I get a little up my own arse about them being there for cosmetic purposes only. Just my opinion and I'm certainly not having a pop at any individual - each to their own etc.

Correct me if I'm wrong,but I believe that the chrome pick-up covers were actually a way to help stop feedback,as it prevented the soundwaves from the speaker from going back into the pick-up. The bridge cover contained a foam mute.
I personally keep the pick-up cover on my Jazz Basses,but not the bridge cover.

[quote name='Doddy' post='248422' date='Jul 26 2008, 02:03 PM']Correct me if I'm wrong,but I believe that the chrome pick-up covers were actually a way to help stop feedback,as it prevented the soundwaves from the speaker from going back into the pick-up. The bridge cover contained a foam mute.
I personally keep the pick-up cover on my Jazz Basses,but not the bridge cover.[/quote]

I never heard the thing about feedback busting before. Interesting. I know some players have said the pup cover 'traps' the sound and colours it somehow but I've not convinced myself of that.

Other than cosmetics I can only think of negatives re the covers. I'm all for cosmetics (as anyone who's seen my basses will know!!!!) but not to the point of creating a negative when it comes to playing.
There's a world of difference between the tone of a string plucked just behind the pup cover and one plucked just in front. I deny myself all the tones inbetween with the cover in place. That , alone , is enough to sway me. It getting in the way is a personal thing but seems most players feel the same way.

I'm not anti anything - honest guv!! - I'm just saying think about negatives/positives you can create when doing things for cosmetic purposes.

I have one for sale which is a thinner design so it doesn't take up valuable playing area around the pickup.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=23050"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=23050[/url]

I really like the feel of them under my hand, somehow they feel 'right' on a jazz shaped bass. I don't play jazzes any more though so hence the sale.

On a P bass I had a while back I used the cover as a grounding for the bass, to stop that clicking every time you touch something metal - I ran a piece of tin foil to the cover from the volume pot under the scratchplate and it worked really well!!

Cheers
ped

[quote name='ped' post='248802' date='Jul 27 2008, 10:17 AM']On a P bass I had a while back I used the cover as a grounding for the bass, to stop that clicking every time you touch something metal - I ran a piece of tin foil to the cover from the volume pot under the scratchplate and it worked really well!!

Cheers
ped[/quote]

Was the tin foil pre CBS ?? :) :huh:

Certain models of Jazz use a copper strip from bridge pup to bridge to do a similar job as I recall - though I may be wrong about the copper strip's purpose.

Think you are right Dave - the copper strip was a precursor to the actual wire which was later drilled through the body to emerge under the bridge. I checked that on my P but it still wasn't grounding properly! Those copper strips always looked very fragile to me... has anyone ripped it off by accident?!

Cheers
ped