Why become a member? ×

Donna Lee vid...

urb

Loved it Mike. Question I always meant to ask: are you going thumb, index, middle, ring when you do the 4 finger garrison thing or are you going the other way? Reason I ask is I've been finding it slightly easier and a bit more comfortable to go backwards if that makes sense? Basically going ring, middle, index, thumb. I dunno why I find it more comfortable, maybe its just my hand position. I'm trying to work on my consistency a bit as I can't seem to hop from string to string very well with it. Got any tips?

Great vid tho.

Adam

[quote name='AdamWoodBass' post='247428' date='Jul 25 2008, 12:04 AM']Loved it Mike. Question I always meant to ask: are you going thumb, index, middle, ring when you do the 4 finger garrison thing or are you going the other way? Reason I ask is I've been finding it slightly easier and a bit more comfortable to go backwards if that makes sense? Basically going ring, middle, index, thumb. I dunno why I find it more comfortable, maybe its just my hand position. I'm trying to work on my consistency a bit as I can't seem to hop from string to string very well with it. Got any tips?

Great vid tho.

Adam[/quote]

Hi Adam - thanks for the positive words - with the 4 finger stuff I know what you mean - I actually made a lesson video explaining the reasons why I do it (and Matt Garrison does it) this way [b][url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PigAe4VIMI"]have a look here[/url][/b] - the way you do it is fine but it's like the 'natural' way to do it - going TIMR does mean breaking that habit of going RMIT because I personally think it's easier to stay consistant (and in time) that way. Training your hand/muscles to go TIMR does take some time but once you have it down it feels very natural and easy to use - getting your muscle memory to do that IS hard - but take your time and you'll get it. I also explain how to string cross by dividing you four digits into two pairs - thumb + index - middle + ring finger, as this is how you can smoothly jump up and down strings... the vid is pretty helpful :)

The other reason it's a better way is that you can use your thumb and index as your 'principle' digits - playing grooves with a down and up stroke - then when you feel the urge, you can drop in two extra pluck from you middle and ring fingers - check out the bass line I play at the start of the lesson vid and I think you'll see what I mean. Hope that helps.

Cheers

Mike

[quote name='TKenrick' post='247766' date='Jul 25 2008, 01:01 PM']Lovely work as always Mike, big thumbs up for doing it at tempo as well! Is the backing track an Aebersold one?[/quote]

Thanks Tom - the tempo is actually a bit weird in that it's not too fast but not too slow either - I find the head really hard to play at this tempo, hence a screw it up a few times! :)

Anyway - yes it's good Jamey Aebersold on the backing - they really the biz those play alongs...

Cheers

M

[quote name='urb' post='247806' date='Jul 25 2008, 01:43 PM']Thanks Tom - the tempo is actually a bit weird in that it's not too fast but not too slow either - I find the head really hard to play at this tempo, hence a screw it up a few times! :)

Anyway - yes it's good Jamey Aebersold on the backing - they really the biz those play alongs...

Cheers

M[/quote]

Backing tracks...hmm what what!

Pardon the rooky question, but how can i get hold of some of these?

Thanks
Jamie

[quote name='bassjamm' post='248012' date='Jul 25 2008, 06:10 PM']Backing tracks...hmm what what!

Pardon the rooky question, but how can i get hold of some of these?

Thanks
Jamie[/quote]

Hi J

Jamey Aebersold is a great American jazz educator - he's recorded over 100 CDs of superb play-along jazz CDs covering all types of standards from beginner level to advanced and everything in between - some of them have Ron Carter and pianist Kenny Barron them - so you get to jam along with world class jazz musicians as your backing band. I've got quite a few of them - the one in this video is from the Charlie Parker Volume No 6 - they are really good and really help you with your soloing:

You can buy them here
[url="http://www.jazzwise.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=547_16"]http://www.jazzwise.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=547_16[/url]

Hope that helps - I recommend them

Mike

[quote name='urb' post='248030' date='Jul 25 2008, 07:06 PM']Hi J

Jamey Aebersold is a great American jazz educator - he's recorded over 100 CDs of superb play-along jazz CDs covering all types of standards from beginner level to advanced and everything in between - some of them have Ron Carter and pianist Kenny Barron them - so you get to jam along with world class jazz musicians as your backing band. I've got quite a few of them - the one in this video is from the Charlie Parker Volume No 6 - they are really good and really help you with your soloing:

You can buy them here
[url="http://www.jazzwise.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=547_16"]http://www.jazzwise.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=547_16[/url]

Hope that helps - I recommend them

Mike[/quote]

Hi Mike,

Thanks for that. Yeah, i've heard of his books before, but i don't think i knew about the backing tracks!

Sounds like great stuff!!!

Sorry, Mike, but you really need to tighten your sh*t up. The walking lines don't swing and your phrasing over the head is very stilted/laboured. You still have some work to do to make this a great performance piece. But you are not a million miles away from nailing it. You need to remember that Jaco took NINE years to nail it. I have been working at Parker's 'Passport' for 15 years and am yet to catch a performance I like. Maybe one day.

I know this sounds like I am being tough on you but there are hundreds of people out there that will tell you you are great. It's nice to hear that but it won't make you any better. You need to hear the truth. Trust me, if your performance was on the money, I would have said so but you have some more work to do before you can deliver on this tune.

Keep trying and good luck.

Rob

Edited by bilbo230763