Why become a member? ×

Rack Mounting?

Wayward-Wanderer

[quote name='Wayward-Wanderer' post='246765' date='Jul 24 2008, 12:22 PM']As well what other types of things can you rack mount other than heads, its all terrible confusing.[/quote]

Power supplies, effects, compressors, tuners, things with big flashing lights.

If you've got a seperate preamp and power amp, being able to rackmount them in the same unit is a lifesaver.

Not sure I understand the question... the [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/19-inch_rack"]19-inch rack[/url] isn't just a music industry thing, it actually started in railroads and telecoms and is used in IT as well. It's just a standardised system of dimensions and mounts, so you can mount boxes from different manufacturers in a single housing, which can be fixed or mobile. Screw ten different boxes in to the rack, cable them up, and move them all as one unit. Roadies tend to like the idea.

Edited by bnt

I currently have a 6-unit rack (i.e. a 6RU) which contains five items: pre-amp, power amp, multi-FX, tuner, power conditioner.

To unload at a gig or rehearsal I need to bring in three main items: bass, rack unit, speaker cab(s). That's quick and easy, and I'm unlikely to forget or misplace anything.

To set up I need to do three things: connect power amp to cab, connect bass to pre-amp, connect power conditioner to mains. Again, quick and easy, and I'm unlikely to connect the wrong cable to the wrong socket.

Without the rack the most stripped-down unload/set-up I could manage was bass, amp/speaker combo, combination FX/tuner (the Zoom's pretty good), plus a bunch of cables that needed very careful routing and plugging, and I was vulnerable to dirty power supplies. And that was the [b][i]best[/i][/b] I could manage.

It's still a luxury, of course, unless you're a far more serious musician than me, but there's no beating the convenience. And (as coasterbass pointed out earlier) if you choose the right kit, the rig can light up like a Xmas Tree!

Edited by Happy Jack