Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

new neck, help please!

Ok so i bought a 21 fret neck off ebay for a project body that i'm going to be doing over the summer, and it needs a 21 fret neck, obviously. When it came today i found that the fretboard extended over the neck itself, so the bulk of it is only the length of a 20 fret neck, but the fingerboard is 21 frets long and sticks out over it. If you don't get what i mean i'll attach a picture. basically is there a way of getting that to work with this body without moving the bridge itself and the intonation being all out? IE moving the neck back in the pocket, or screwing the bridge saddles all the way back. If not then i've already left positive feedback for the seller, so i don't think i can return it... i might just sell it on here... or on ebay again.

Were it moi and I def. wanted to keep it - I'd move the neck back in the pocket and knock up a shaped piece to fill the gap. A bodge job will suffice to see if all's OK and you can make a better job later.

Is the neck new? If not you could fill the screwholes easily enough. If it is new , and you may want to sell it on in the future it'll have holes in the wrong place - so depends how much money you have tied up in it if you want to try a bit of fettling. If you're not confident - and if it'll always bug you , don't bother and sell it on now.

[quote name='budget bassist' post='246347' date='Jul 23 2008, 07:24 PM']Ok so i bought a 21 fret neck off ebay for a project body that i'm going to be doing over the summer, and it needs a 21 fret neck, obviously. When it came today i found that the fretboard extended over the neck itself, so the bulk of it is only the length of a 20 fret neck, but the fingerboard is 21 frets long and sticks out over it. If you don't get what i mean i'll attach a picture. basically is there a way of getting that to work with this body without moving the bridge itself and the intonation being all out? IE moving the neck back in the pocket, or screwing the bridge saddles all the way back. If not then i've already left positive feedback for the seller, so i don't think i can return it... i might just sell it on here... or on ebay again.[/quote]

Measure your old neck from the heel (bridge) end of the cutout in the body to the nut and let me know the distance ,I may have a neck that I can swop with you to help you out.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='246557' date='Jul 24 2008, 01:02 AM']Sorry - but dont f*** about with this sh*t if you dont know what you are doing, unless you are prepared to write off your learning mistakes. Its not a cheap way.[/quote]
Well considering it was advertised as a 21 fret neck and the measurements were about 1mm off i assumed it would only be a little sanding job and it should fit... Like i say though, it's only a VERY cheap neck and it's only going to be temporary until i can find a stingray/SUB neck that i KNOW will fit.

Of course fret length isn't a system of measurement.... well I don't think so :) . You have the number of frets, the scale length and where the mounting surface is in relation to the scale length - and those are just the basic measurements. I guessed you missed one or the seller *creatively* forgot to mention it. Yours must be designed for a longer body (relative) to the scale length that the standard Fender style necks. I would get rid and find something a bit closer, you're going to be in for a lot of hassle otherwise surely?

[quote name='budget bassist' post='246347' date='Jul 23 2008, 07:24 PM']Ok so i bought a 21 fret neck off ebay for a project body that i'm going to be doing over the summer, and it needs a 21 fret neck, obviously. When it came today i found that the fretboard extended over the neck itself, so the bulk of it is only the length of a 20 fret neck, but the fingerboard is 21 frets long and sticks out over it. If you don't get what i mean i'll attach a picture. basically is there a way of getting that to work with this body without moving the bridge itself and the intonation being all out? IE moving the neck back in the pocket, or screwing the bridge saddles all the way back. If not then i've already left positive feedback for the seller, so i don't think i can return it... i might just sell it on here... or on ebay again.[/quote]

The number of frets isn't relevant. Measure the distance between nut and 12th fret, compare that with an 'ordinary' neck and if it's the same it'll fit.

Warmoth necks have the extended fretboard to accommodate the 21st fret, and they are interchangeable with Fender 20 fret necks.

[quote name='bremen' post='246958' date='Jul 24 2008, 03:42 PM']The number of frets isn't relevant. Measure the distance between nut and 12th fret, compare that with an 'ordinary' neck and if it's the same it'll fit.

Warmoth necks have the extended fretboard to accommodate the 21st fret, and they are interchangeable with Fender 20 fret necks.[/quote]

All you are checking is the scale length. Important, yes, but not the end of the story. How far the bit where the screws go is from the nut (and hence the bridge when it's put together) is stopper if it's wrong. Necks aren't interchangeable basically, unless specifically intended as a drop-in replacement.