Why become a member? ×

Advice needed.... 4Ohm speaker for SVT15E?

Painy

Hi all. Could do with some expert advice.
I'm currently using an SVT15E classic as an extension cab for my Ampeg BA500 combo. The 2 10s in the combo run at 4 Ohms drawing 350w from the amp but with a 4 Ohm extension cab the amp produces its full 500w. My concern is that the cab I'm using is 8 Ohm. Now I'm not sure if there's any risk of damage but I do know I'm not getting the full 500w out of it. Either way I'd prefer to run the amp as intended, with a 4 Ohm extension cab.
I don't want to add another cab and as much as I'd like to swap the 15E for say a 410HLF which is 4 Ohm, my budget won't stretch that far so I'm looking to swap the speaker.
Now I'm well aware that the new driver needs to properly suit the enclosure etc. but, having started my search by looking at the Eminence Legend CA154, I soon realized that I'm not techie enough to work it out all out for myself. Again I'm on a budget so something suitable for around the same price bracket as the CA154 (unless of course I got lucky first time and the CA154 would actually be suitable) would be great.
Any suggestions?

Don't worry about not getting the full 500 watts out of it. You can't hear watts. You do hear decibels.The difference between running a 4 ohm versus 8 ohm extension cab might be at best 2 decibels, which is roughly the difference between running your volume control at 7 versus 6.75. It's simply not worth changing the driver, the advantage being so slight.
You also do not want to run a 4 ohm 4x10. If you do each ten in the combo will receive twice the power as each ten in the extension. Probably the best extension option would be a 4 ohm 2x10 loaded with the same drivers as those in the combo.

Edited by Bill Fitzmaurice

Just the person I was hoping would reply to be honest. Thanks.
I had wondered about dividing the power between a different number of speakers anyway to be honest.
I did realise that the change in impedance wouldn't result in double the output through that cab but didn't realise it would be as slight a difference as that so I can see now that it wouldn't be worth changing from that point of view.
Just to check though, would there be any risk of damage to either the amp or cab in continuing to run it as is?

Thanks again.

[quote name='Painy' timestamp='1404601722' post='2494143']
Good to know thanks. Oh, and Mrs Painy says thanks too - seeing as I won't need to spend the money on a replacement speaker now, she says I can use it towards a present for her birthday next week! :)
[/quote]Manolo. Trust me. :rolleyes: