Why become a member? ×

Yamaha bb2024x

jonnythenotes

Tried one of these today and was pretty impressed to say the least...... Are they as good as I think they are ( only had 10 mins with it.) The finish was fantastic having a really high quality feel about it. Are they comparable with anything else in terms of sound, feel and build quality, as there seem to be very few of them about (is that in itself saying something about them) or have I been walking around with my eyes..(and ears) closed. And finally, what would a new or second hand one cost. Cheers folks..

Yes, they are as good as you think they are. In fact, they are probably even better than that.

I rate the 2024X as one of the very best bass guitars that money can buy, regardless of price. I've owned and played all kinds of so-called high-end basses , and only the very best of them could match the Super BB's from Yamaha. The are beautifully made and sound like a foghorn. Of course no design is for everybody, but if you like the styling and overall feel of the BB range then these basses are sublime.

Regarding prices , there is an amazing example for sale on Basschat at the moment for a silly price ( silly cheap, that is) of £1250, especially considering that is a 2024MX , that is a 2024X with a maple fingerboard. The MX's are only available to special order and are incredibly rare. Check out Beedster's ad in the For Sale section and see it for yourself. The Vintage White finish looks absolutely stunning with the maple board. Probably the most sumptuous bass I have ever seen for sale on Basschat, and the biggest bargain of recent times . The price is even more of a bargain when you know that it is only a couple of years old.

Edited by Dingus

Just back from town and took some time for a quick try out the RH750 head. Obviously didn't have anything Warwick shaped in stock so Picked up the BB414 on account it was the most similar to my BB1200.
Playing the amp, fiddling about with settings and at some point look down and realise that this isn't one of my basses - it was so nice to play and felt so good I didn't have the whole fiddling around with pup settings or balance or tone control to coax a nice sound like I have with other basses. Very nice - obviously I could tell the difference between it and my 70's BB1200 but the BB414 was pretty great! I've played a fair few fenders in the same shop and none of them felt and played and sounded* as good as the bb! I can't imagine how great a BB2024x would be!

* I was demoing an amp at the time so I prob had a fair bit of amp tone in my perception too!

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1403972716' post='2488246']
there is an amazing example for sale on Basschat at the moment for a silly price ( silly cheap, that is)
[/quote] what he says!

Sorry to hijack the thread but I'm considering buying a 1025x to replace a Stingray 5. Although this is probably criminal I'm after a bit more versatility so either looking at the Yammy or a Fender American Standard Jazz 5 in my budget. Currently loving my Precision tone so edging more towards a PJ configuration, BB owners thoughts please!

I bought a Fender American jazz IV Deluxe a couple of years ago, and all was ok until I tried out a Sandberg California TM5. The Fender now feels a bit like I am playing something that fell off a tractor.... For a very similar cash outlay, my humble opinion is that the Sandberg is a better all rounder, and has more versatility sound wise than the Jazz. Before you shell out, It might be worth having a look at the Sandbergs that Bass Direct in Warwick have got in stock. Also, for a bit more loot, check out the Mike Lull range of basses (again Bass Direct.) I had Brian Beller signature model off him (5 string) and the Mike Lull range of basses are out of this world....but at a price. I still have these basses, and gig them all, but the Sandberg seems to get more outings than the others.

I have a 2024x and its an absolute beast. Worth every penny. No fiddling with controls required - just plug in for the fattest snarlyest rock tone ever. Its feels like a big-ass bass to play - large body and headstock - and feels very assertive (if that makes sense). The neck is just right. Top notch fit and finish. Mine's finished in black, and does seem to pick up scratches - if I was getting another (which I probably will at some stage) I'd get a white or sunburst one because of that. Awesome basses tho.