Why become a member? ×

Strictly For GB owners only..the rest of you wouldnt understand!

phsycoandy

[quote name='phsycoandy' post='244841' date='Jul 21 2008, 09:37 PM']I'm thinking about ordering a Rumour from Bernie to sister my Spitfire and want to now what the real differences are, AFAIK the tronics are the same, so what could I expect to notice side by side.[/quote]

I have both Rumour and Spitfire basses, both custom built for me by Bernie, the Rumour in 2003 and the Spitfire 3 years later in 2006. As I already had the 'full on' circuit in the Rumour (with the HB pups) we decided to go a different route with the Spitfire and Bernie put Single Coils in it (disguised as HBs so visually the bass has the 'GB' look) and also fitted the 'In Line' jazz control layout which to my mind suits the visuals of the Spitfire better as well

For me apart from the sonic differences (due to aforementioned pup differences) the biggest difference is the neck/balance/weight thing. The Rumour (being a thru neck) is both balanced perfectly and light. The Spitfire (by comparision) is slightly neck heavier as well as heavier overall. It also has an 'older school' sound (if that makes sense) although, due to the Rumour circuit, still has a massive array of tones on tap and definately has that 'GB' sound

No need to go into the support/service side of things that Bernie offers as you'll already be familiar but if you're considering a Rumour I'd say 'go for it' as they are comfortable, light, ultra playable and sound the dogs - I'm sure Bernie would loan you one if you wanted a test drive! Failing that if you're ever in the North Devon area (unlikely I know!) you'd be more than welcome to come and have a widdle on mine!

Cheers
Dave

Edited by pnefc42

[quote name='pnefc42' post='245041' date='Jul 22 2008, 07:45 AM']I have both Rumour and Spitfire basses, both custom built for me by Bernie, the Rumour in 2003 and the Spitfire 3 years later in 2006. As I already had the 'full on' circuit in the Rumour (with the HB pups) we decided to go a different route with the Spitfire and Bernie put Single Coils in it (disguised as HBs so visually the bass has the 'GB' look) and also fitted the 'In Line' jazz control layout which to my mind suits the visuals of the Spitfire better as well

For me apart from the sonic differences (due to aforementioned pup differences) the biggest difference is the neck/balance/weight thing. The Rumour (being a thru neck) is both balanced perfectly and light. The Spitfire (by comparision) is slightly neck heavier as well as heavier overall. It also has an 'older school' sound (if that makes sense) although, due to the Rumour circuit, still has a massive array of tones on tap and definately has that 'GB' sound

No need to go into the support/service side of things that Bernie offers as you'll already be familiar but if you're considering a Rumour I'd say 'go for it' as they are comfortable, light, ultra playable and sound the dogs - I'm sure Bernie would loan you one if you wanted a test drive! Failing that if you're ever in the North Devon area (unlikely I know!) you'd be more than welcome to come and have a widdle on mine!

Cheers
Dave[/quote]

I see your avatar is a Jaydee. How do your GBs compare in the real world to your Jaydee (assuming you still have it?)

[quote name='4000' post='247648' date='Jul 25 2008, 10:58 AM']I see your avatar is a Jaydee. How do your GBs compare in the real world to your Jaydee (assuming you still have it?)[/quote]

Tonally both the GBs are more versatile than the Jaydee (which I do still have although it's now Cherry red after having been back to John for a full refurb last year) and are lighter and more 'compact'. But the Jaydee has 'that' tone which is unique and (to my ears) cannot be replicated by any other instrument

Quality wise they are on a par as they are all hand made instruments built by guys that are both knowledgeable and passionate about what they do. In fact, as a creation, I'd say the Jaydee has the edge because the build quality is as good as you can get and the little details like the neck & headstock binding, the brass roller nut etc just finish it off perfectly - highly recommended!!

Cheers
Dave

[quote name='phsycoandy' post='244841' date='Jul 21 2008, 09:37 PM']I'm thinking about ordering a Rumour from Bernie to sister my Spitfire and want to now what the real differences are, AFAIK the tronics are the same, so what could I expect to notice side by side.[/quote]

MB1. :)
The difference being, its not a Spitfire.... its just a rumour!....Sorry! I'll get me Coat!.