Why become a member? ×

(SOLD) FS: Fodera NYC 1996 4 string
£1350

Premek

SOLD!!!!!

Hello all,

a very good friend of mine is selling his two basses, as he found a great oportunity to buy another one.

He's not so familiar with English (actually I'm not the best also) and asked me to help him with place his offer to this forum.

So...

[b]Fodera NYC 1996 4string[/b]
-----------------------------------

[b]Location:[/b] Prague, Czech Republic (EU)

Top: maple
Body: ash
Neck: maple
Fingerboard: mahagony
Nut: true beef bone (with its harmonical avantages, not TUSQ)
Hardware: Schaller (bridge & tuners) - the bridge is composed by the bridge himself and a backplate (up to user, if want to have it or not, in fact with this option great for setup)
Controls: volume (push/pull => passive/active) + separated pickup blender + bass + treble

Weight: 4.7kg
Scale: standard 34"
String spacing: 19mm (can be adjusted individually, movable "stones")

Pickups: DiMarzio Model J DP123 - pickups are replaced, the instrument came originaly with LanePoor JB pickups. The originals are understood in the offer and will be shipped with, of course!

Electronics: Mike Pope 2-band original preamp circut - when the bass has been made, Fodera equiped these models only by the "active" type of electronics, this one (added, bought from Fodera by the demand) has been put cause of possibility to have both modes active/passive.

Some words about: the bass is in very good and mint condition, the one and only defect is damaged lacquer at the base (detailed on photo...). The cover of electronics is not damaged, it's tortois :)

Regarding sound - it has killing JB sound like, not so comparable with "modern" NYC Foderas of last years, so really usefull and great for any style and kind of playing, solo/band/..., an indisputable functional instrument. The perfect manufacturing allows very low action.

I (we) hope we toke a picture of every detail of the lady, but, of course, if any other infos or photos needed, feel free to ask...

Edited by Premek

Dafonky,

I'm sorry, but we're not able seriously answer this... it's Fodera '96 NYC spacing :)
[quote name='dafonky' timestamp='1403202837' post='2480814']
Hi, does the bass have 60'ies or 70'ies PU spacing?
[/quote]

Dafonky, I need to check it... sorry

Edited by Premek

'96 is pretty early for the NYC Empire range I think.

Is this one completely made in Japan or one of the hybrids that were partly made in Japan and partly by a third party (not Fodera but an approved luthier) in the USA?

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1403459254' post='2482894']
'96 is pretty early for the NYC Empire range I think.

Is this one completely made in Japan or one of the hybrids that were partly made in Japan and partly by a third party (not Fodera but an approved luthier) in the USA?
[/quote]

We tried find some more info, but no chance...

I looked for the serial #, the only is under the plate, near the trus rod, and there's "466A" + something like a name, thats'all.

These basses were made with the same pickup configuration as an original Fender Jazzbass, with either 60'ies or 70'ies Pu spacing. The difference between the two configurations is a different sound: 70' ies Jazzbasses had the rear pickup closer to the bridge . 70'ies Jazzbasses have 4.0 " spacing from center to center pickup, whereas 60'ies Jazzbasses have only 3.6" spacing ( 10 cm vs 9 cm) it's only 1 cm difference, but that makes a difference in sound :-) Could you please check this? Thanks man.

I've had a similar instrument; played and sounded really good... :D
Regarding info about the bass, you could try asking Jason at Fodera... although he wasn't yet working at Fodera at the time, he's quite knowleadgeable about the NYC series...

This bass seems to be correct ! I have two early NYC ' s from 1997. They were completely handmade in NY. They were offered with different pickups, Lane Poor, EMG, Lindy Fralins, Di Marzios . The first electronics had no passive tone control. The first of my NYC'ies has the serialnumber at the back of the headstock,But it's hard to see. The second one has no serialnumber at all. Some of these basses have the serial number not on the front or back of the headstock ,but on the upper side of the headstock, you see it when you look at the tuner pegs....All of these early NYC basses have slightly different body shapes. I had a pickguard made for one bass which did not fit to any other early NYC basses. If somebody has details about the old NYC series , it's definately Joey! He is the man who knows everything about these early NYC Empires. I hope this helps.
But anyway , I would like to know if this early example has a 60'ies or a 70'ies Pickup position. Seems to be a 60'ies configuration?

Edited by dafonky

Guys,

maybe is not too professional, but.... give me some time, please.

As I said/wrote, this bass belongs to one of my friend, I need to check with him - he's currently with his family out of city for couple of days.

I come back to You ASAP wit hte details and answers!!!

With the great diagram from Dafonky we mesured the pickups... it's 3.6" which is described as
1960 till early 1970
1982 till Present on vintage reissues
1988 till Present on US Standard and Deluxe series

(if I understood well the remarks...)

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...