Why become a member? ×

Cleaning marks on a Satin finish

Kev

My Warwick has a lovely coloured oil/satin finish, however on the back there are a couple of shiny marks. It is not play wear so I imagine it has at some point come into contact with something oily. Wiping with a cloth/water and a tiny bit of lemon oil has not had any effect. I am quite anxious about not trying to polish it too much as I don't want to buff it into a gloss type shine.

Any tips for removing these marks? I can't photograph them, they are only visible with light shining on them, but I am sure you will know what kind of marks I mean.

Perhaps (carefully) try some very fine wire wool, or a scotch-brite pad?

I'd avoid putting any more lemon oil on it as that'll probably make it shinier, you could try degreasing it with a tiny bit of soapy water (washing up liquid?) on the scotch-pad.

Maybe those [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]shiny marks are just[/font][/color] accumulated grime and the lemon oil wont help.
Since we´re talking about an oil based finish instrument, i would use spirit of turpentine.
Spirit of turpentine is a suitable product for cleaning wood and, unlike mineral solvents, will not cause it to dry out.
Moisten a clean, dry cloth with a little bit of solvent and then gently rub those spots. Let it dry for about 10m. After that you can use your warwick wax to bring back that satin finish.
Hope this will help

^^ this would be perfect for a Warwick non-coloured oil finish, but not for the satin finish of the coloured oil. If I put any wax on it it will come up to a glossy shine and that is the opposite of what I want :)

I plucked up the courage to use a little fine wire wool very sparingly, seems to have done the trick :)

Cheers guys.