Why become a member? ×

Thoughts on the Deluxe Bass Big Muff

Damonjames

Hey,
I have one and love it, for the money it is great and it keeps the low end and sounds great and thick, I played mine through an svt cl and 810 the other day and it sounded huge, but even through my abm 500 and 410 it sounds big, the only bad thing is that I don't find the crossover very useful as to use it you have to have the noise gate quite high to remove noise which I don't like as I like to sustain notes and the crossover seems to cut the mids a bit at some settings! Overall though I recommend it and you can't beat it for the price! Also the blend is very useful as you can add just a touch of hair to full on mind blowing fuzz! Hope this helps, any other questions just ask :)
Patch

I thought it was a very impressive pedal, and easily the most versatile fuzz out there for anything near it's asking price. You will not get better, just different, at any price. Well worth a try.
Personally I found the crossover and the noise gate both very useful. It sat very nicely in a band mix. A huge improvement on the std Bass big muff. I have not used Russian muffs so cannot compare to them.

Ignoring the crossover, gate, and improved blend control, has anyone compared the deluxe to the standard and found them to sound the same?

You should look at the COG Grand Tarkin also if you haven't already done so- a great Russian muff clone with blend and mids control.

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1402817654' post='2476927']
Ignoring the crossover, gate, and improved blend control, has anyone compared the deluxe to the standard and found them to sound the same?

You should look at the COG Grand Tarkin also if you haven't already done so- a great Russian muff clone with blend and mids control.
[/quote]

The deluxe muff has much more prominent mids than the std bass muff and is much more present in a band mix.

Personally, I like it a lot more than the Tarkin, which I just could not get to sit in a mix the way I wanted it to.

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely love my one, surprisingly versatile fuzz for the price, I can get a lot of different tones out of it, the crossover feature is probably the best thing about this pedal. Can't say I've ver felt the need to use the noise gate but the DI out jack did save my bollocks the other day when an amp packed in and I was able to go into the sound desk using the big miff. Highly recommend!