Why become a member? ×

Scotts bass lessons feedback

sellisnba

Hi all
I've recently decided to start playing bass again after attempting to learn guitar. The thing is i don't really have a ton of money for lessons and there is a serious lack of tutors in my area (Exeter).
I spotted Scott Devines site. which looks both informative and helpful. I was just wondering if anyone had any feedback on his "academy" option. It cost around £50 a year and seems like good value. There is a total beginners course and he also offers a 30 day money back guarantee.
Any feedback is appreciated. also if anyone can point me in the direction of a good bass tutor in or around Exeter that would be great.

I'm in the SBL Academy.
It's worth taking a look at the promo video before you decide. It tells you a lot more about the package.

There's a forum website attached; which they call the "campus". There's a lot of chat there and you can get help from other members. Not all members are noobs, so you can get answers from others who're learning.

The lessons to the SBL folk are more organised than on the website. The lessons start with a "Beginners" course, then there's other courses to develop with. In the SBL beginner course there's loads of music theory there to tell you about harmony and diatonic theory and the Modes.

There's loads of further info about how to transcribe and create baselines using 1, 3, 5, 7 of each of the scales/modes and using chord progressions.

There are monthly assignments set for everyone. The current one is to take a fav bassist, examine their work and record a vid of yourself covering a track.
Other assignments have been creating jam tracks and funk-covers.

Something which focuses the mind is the section on the Campus where you keep a public log of your practise activities. Simply keeping this is really useful. Others can look in and comment on your progress and any vids you post here.

There's also a weekly "Bass hang". This is a 2 hours live session where members can ask questions of Scott and Geoff about anything, but mostly bass related. This is published on the site and you can watch old ones too.

The members are kept up with Academy news in the "SBL Academy Show". Here you learn about good threads that you may have missed and good things going on.

I've paid up and I'm quite happy about it. I've progressed well in the time I've done it (about 2-3 weeks). The beginners lessons are very good and have helped me.

WRT the log I guess there's no reason why you can't keep your own private practise log, but the forum version does focus you a bit... Big Brother is watching you!!

WRT the cost; the way I see it is what I paid is about the same as 2x 1hour lessons with a teacher. I'd say I've got value for money already as I've got more progress from the SBL lesons by Scott and Geoff than I've had from a local teacher on a 1-to-1 basis.

PM me if you want to.

Cheers
Rich