Why become a member? ×

Orange bass stuff - comparison video

Ramirez

I've just uploaded a video comparing 12AX7 and 12AT7 valves in a Terror Bass head, as well as comparing the Terror to the AD200B model in Amplitube.

When I say 'comparing', I mean playing them back to back, and when I say 'video', I mean an audio track with three different pictures and some text, done very badly!

I haven't spent much time on any aspect of this, but I thought I'd post in case it's of interest to anyone.

Here you go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2K8x-dea-w&feature=youtu.be

Aled

Edited by icastle
Link fixed.

I'm struggling to hear a difference between the valves to be honest - and it certainly hasn't made much difference in terms of gain structure. The stock AX7 may have been abnormally low gain or something, as my Terror doesn't get anywhere near the same levels of distortions as others seem to get.

The Ampltube is reasonably close isn't it. Though it's not a model of the Terror itself, apparently the Terror and AD200B shares the same preamp. I certainly don't feel the Amplitube clip is any worse than the Terror. I may even prefer it. It suggests that I'd probably pass spending on a real AD200 seeing as I have the Terror though!

Edited by Ramirez

Through my decent headphones lots if difference in tubes sound. I can't remember but I think the second lot add a lot more highs compared to the first set, the 3rd similar but darker in voicing.
Amplitude sim sounds exactly the same if not better through out though. Hard to tell as it switches between stuff so quick.

If you are looking for constructive criticism, then I would suggest spending more time on each sound clip it stead of the 1 or two measures and then going to the next thing. Also I would have preferred hearing them in either the 12'o' clock setting or the best possible flat signal. That way we'd probably hear more difference between them all.
The mids are naturally cut on the tone stack anyway and you've turned them essentially off and boosted the bass, and lows sound like lows regardless IMO. The midrange will make hearing the difference more easier.

• 4 weeks later...

Cheers

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1402908272' post='2477659']
Through my decent headphones lots if difference in tubes sound. I can't remember but I think the second lot add a lot more highs compared to the first set, the 3rd similar but darker in voicing.
Amplitude sim sounds exactly the same if not better through out though. Hard to tell as it switches between stuff so quick.[/quote]

Interesting (though there isn't a 3rd set). I find much more difference between Amplitube than between the two sets of valves. Incidentally, I felt that switching quickly would make the differences more pronouned without having your brain lock in on the specifics of any sound (i.e. so you focus on the difference rather than the tone itself, to an extent)

[quote]If you are looking for constructive criticism, then I would suggest spending more time on each sound clip it stead of the 1 or two measures and then going to the next thing. Also I would have preferred hearing them in either the 12'o' clock setting or the best possible flat signal. That way we'd probably hear more difference between them all.
The mids are naturally cut on the tone stack anyway and you've turned them essentially off and boosted the bass, and lows sound like lows regardless IMO. The midrange will make hearing the difference more easier.
[/quote]

Not really looking for constructive criticism as it was initially done for my own benefit, with roughly the EQ settings that I use, but thanks anyway! If I was doing a proper demos of the amp I would have messed around with the EQ.

As an aside, I don't think the mids are "naturally cut", rather they are cut-only. That does not mean it has to be mid-scooped. With the Fender Jazz example,I wouldn't use that much mid cut, but I think it suits the Precision (I also usually have a 5k boost from a Zoom B3 alongside a compressor, but left them out of the vid)

Aled

• 1 year later...