Why become a member? ×

Yamaha - difference between BB2025 and BB425X ?

BigBeatNut

Trying to understand the differences between a BB2025 and BB425X and searches on here haven't told me a lot ... can anyone help out ? (I already own a 425X)

Most particularly, I'm trying to understand the difference in value when they appear to be two strongly related basses.

What I know already: X means it's got a scratch plate and front mounted controls. On the two examples I'm comparing the 2025 is 3TSB and the 425 is solid white.

Apart from that, there's an awful lot that looks the same ... body shape, 5 piece neck, 4+1, tuners P+J pickups, vol/tone/pickup switch. The bridge is similar construction, bent plate, though it looks like the bridge pieces are different.

So what's the deal ? I[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]s 2025 the made in a different country ? Is it just the 2025 that's hand finished ? Different woods ? [/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]TIA ...[/font][/color]

Here's a link to a thread comparing the 102X and 202X Yamaha BB's.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/185459-yamaha-bb1024x-vs-bb2024x/page__st__60__p__2394920__hl__1024__fromsearch__1#entry2394920"]http://basschat.co.u..._1#entry2394920[/url]

Essentially the 202X bases are hand made in Japan and have various treatments to the wood to artificially age the body internally to improve resonance etc.

Step up from the 42X bases is basically better pickups and nickel silver nut I believe.

I've got a BB1024 and a BB1024X and I'm looking for a BB1025X. I'm not sure that I could justify a 202X bass unless I came into a large sum of money :-)

YMMV

Pete

The 202... Basses really need to be played to be appreciated: they're the ultimate stealth bass. The blurb does tend to read like techno-twaddle, but the reality is they're very, very good indeed.