Why become a member? ×

Thinking about buying a new neck.

ferguswads

I have an MIM Fender Jazz and I'm thinking of buying a new neck, most likely a 70s RI with block inlays:

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=360069852182&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=023"]Like this[/url]

What are the issues with fitting a new neck, would it be best to take them to a music shop like folds or something where they would set it up for me or is it simple enough to do myself? I also take it the tuners on my current neck would just go straight on the new neck?

The most I have ever done to my bass myself is change the strings so any help will be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Ferg

All depends on the neck as to fittings, some will just fit right away, others will need bit of sanding or routing or shimming. The tuner holes are consistent and measurable, neck pocket less so. Any luthier would be able to fit it. Go right to a luthier rather than a shop that will likely farm it out and take a cut.

If you buy a Fender neck, or a decent licenced neck (Allparts, Mighty Mite etc), changing the neck is actually very easy on a Fender. The neck sockets are all a standard size. Occassionally you may need to sand the neck to fit, but to be honest I've regularly swapped Fender necks, and never had any problems.

I've actually bought necks from that e-bay seller, and he's got some good quality stuff. The neck in that link ought to be a pretty straight forward swap.

The more complicated bit will be getting a decent set up once its on - but even that is reasonably easy on a Fender, and there are links on Fender's site showing how to do that.

I'd go for it!