Why become a member? ×

Active PA Speakers

monkeynuts

Morning all

I'm currently looking to upgrade my current PA speakers and the shortlist in budget seems to be;

JBL EON 515XT

DB Technologies 715DX

EV ZLX 15P

Budget could be stretched to £500 a speaker at a push.

Looking at 15's as I don't always carry a sub and that will be a later addition anyway.

Anyone used any of the above or any suggestions?

Thanks

Edited by monkeynuts

Yeah I work for them. I prefer the 12" ZLX-P over the 15' to be honest. There's plenty of good speakers in the price range you are looking at. Check out RCF too. At the end of the day it's personal preference to the cabinet sound. The ZLX has a greater DSP control over the other brands and is pretty competitive and has a 3year warranty too. The best thing you can do is get yourself down to somewhere like PMT or the like and compare a few out with some pre-recorded music you are familiar with so you can get a good idea

The ZLX are Chinese made - not considered the best stuff from EV. At your price point I'd be looking at the RCF 312A (in fact that's what I'm aiming at at the mo). Alternatively if you can pick up some version 1 Mackie SRM450 (made in Italy not China) these are also well regarded. Beyond that then the QSC K12 but they're above your (and my) budget.

Edited by martthebass

[quote name='crez5150' timestamp='1400845500' post='2457451']
You know the Chinese argument doesn't really stack up these days.... I'd stick the ZLX up against anything from a European manufacture base.
[/quote]

As a buyer where I bring lots of stuff in from China I was hoping that would be the case. I'd much rather save some money and get the ZLX over the RCF's......unfortunately my ears said differently so I'm still in save up mode. Just my opinion though someone else could think exactly the opposite.

[quote name='martthebass' timestamp='1400845933' post='2457457']
As a buyer where I bring lots of stuff in from China I was hoping that would be the case. I'd much rather save some money and get the ZLX over the RCF's......unfortunately my ears said differently so I'm still in save up mode. Just my opinion though someone else could think exactly the opposite.
[/quote]

Exactly... which is why I said that you should go and check out speakers with some familiar tracks ..... everyone has a different view on the sound they expect.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='monkeynuts' timestamp='1400830674' post='2457278']
Morning all

I'm currently looking to upgrade my current PA speakers and the shortlist in budget seems to be;

JBL EON 515XT

DB Technologies 715DX

EV ZLX 15P

Budget could be stretched to £500 a speaker at a push.

Looking at 15's as I don't always carry a sub and that will be a later addition anyway.

Anyone used any of the above or any suggestions?

Thanks
[/quote]
The DB's win out of that list, I've used them all, however try and find some new old stock DB 605D's as they're lighter, more powerfull and sound better. DB 405D's are a similar wattage to the 715DX's and they're also better.
Oh, and by the way, DB Technologies are owned by RCF and use the same drivers and amps.

Edited by Handwired