Why become a member? ×

Direct Sound

Sonic_Groove

Are you going through the PA at all? At what volume level do you need this tone?
A decent preamp into any half decent power amp into a full range speaker would do the job I would think.
The main part that will effect it IMO will be the speaker- a lot of bass cabs aren't designed to give a flat full range response, and some PA stuff would work but tends to be designed to roll off earlier than idea and be crossed into subs.

Yeah sorry I didn't really qualify it did I. Do not need big volume at moment if so will go to PA or I still have my rig. This is for playing with acoustic guitar/vocals or Sax & percusion (not a full kit). I was hoping to find a small flat sounding combo or flat preamp & powered cab.

Brendan

what baseman7755 says - if you're going via the PA you could get a decent preamp, and then a powered PA speaker coming either from your bass or even a monitor return from the desk.... there are flatter bass combos out there too - look at what the double bass players use....

I can get the sort ballpark sound you're going for with a hellborg preamp into either a roland D-bass combo or into a power amp and ACME B2. Also had a great sound from a HK D.A.R.T. wedge at a venue we used.