Why become a member? ×

International purchase/trade

Hoffbass

Hi Bchatters,

Could you tell me the process about a deal when somebody buys a bass from another country? I know it is mostly about trust and I'm asking with all respect to our community which I am proud to be a member of. How can you make sure about a smooth deal and what guarantee can you get when transfer money from your account to the seller?
Thanks

I know a few people on here have a feedback page, which acts like the ebay one, though allows for more details, so you can see if they have one.

Their topic post, and join date can also allow you to see if they are new to here, or if they're an active member of the community. If they're an active member, then id be more trusting of them when compared to a new person with minimal posts.

Guarantee wise, besides trust, i dont think there really is a way around it, unless you want to use paypal and do it as a sale transaction. Ive done a few deals with people abroad on here, and each and everyone has gone smoothly, luckily.

Are you the one buying from abroad or selling to abroad?

I recently bought a £600 cab from a BC'er in Holland who had zero feedback on the site but good ebay feedback. He was happy to accept a £50 deposit and the balance when i had received the cab. I guess my history on this site and ebay reassured him enough to trust me.

All sorted easily even though the final money transfer (through Transferwise) got delayed a few days because of merchant system issue - we kept in touch and both monitored what was happening.

Edited by Mudpup

I gave in to a major bout of GAS and bought one of Kukkunyan's Aria Pro II CSB 450 'Black N Gold' basses about 10 days ago. Paid with Paypal, which has to be the most straightforward way to go about paying in another currency outside of credit card transactions. He did everything right, got it sent off from Japan really promptly with good tracking. It arrived in Parcelforce Coventry 7 days ago - just 3 days after posting in Japan!! - and I notice this morning it has now cleared customs and is headed dahn sahf to here. Could have been quicker, I guess, but it could have been a lot slower, too. So far it has been a fairly trouble-free experience, although until the box actually arrives and I open it up, I will still be slightly on tenterhooks. I think sometimes you have to take things at face value and go for it.

Edited by Paul S