Why become a member? ×

Ampeg Portaflex PF500 210HE

MarkWJenkins

Hi... I have an opportunity to buy one of these combos/head/cabs (whatever you want to class it as?!)
Unfortunately, I won't be able to try it before I buy, so I thought I would ask the esteemed members of BC for their views/opinions on it.

Bit of background - I've just joined a band made up of members of previous bands I've been involved with. Staying as a 3 piece for now (Drums, Guitar and Bass. Myself and the guitard will be sharing vocal duties)
We will be playing mainly original songs, albeit with a couple of covers thrown in as we start out. Generally classified as hard rock/80s heavy metal style sound.

I currently play a Fanndec 6 string, so my main concern would be - can the 210HE cab handle a Low B flat? As in, half step down from standard tuning?
I will be looking out for 1x15 at some point to add to the rig - if I do buy it.

Hope someone can help me out on information, I've never been too trusting of online reviews, and would ideally like to hear from someone who's owned the cab and used it in a similar gigging situation :)
Cheers,
Mark

I have two of the PF-115 cabs and love the sound (preferred them to the 210). However, being a sealed design, they're not that loud and they don't go that low. (However, they'd easily handle low Bb, they're just not that 'subby'). The positive is that the lack of porting doesn't create any boominess.

I run mine with a PF-350, as I'd read far too many posts about the PF-500 dying... Absolutely love the rig, but I play jazz, not hard rock. I'd try one in a shop and see what you think, and maybe look into the PF-800 for some extra headroom.

Edited by guybrush threepwood

Cheers for the replies :) Have spoken to the guy who offered it to me, and agreed a weeks trial before I make a decision to buy or not. Will be collecting it on Monday.

I was slightly put off by the cab not being ported, but if does indeed reduce the level of 'boominess' then I'll be quite happy tbh.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've had it for a week or so on trial now. Verdict - LOVE the head, not as taken by the cab as I wanted to be. Have tried it (the head) through a few other cabs I have here, and quite surprised at how good it sounds through an old Hartke transporter 4x10. Only thing is, if I do buy it, then its as a package (head+cab). Decisions!!