Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

cable recommendation please

steve-bbb

Personally I wouldn't use USB on a MAc it's "dumb" connection and is affected by overheads like other things on the bus (which aren't always obvious like keyboards and trackpads on the MacBook) as well as driver issues. I'd use the analog output jack with decent connectors before anything on the USB bus.

If you are looking at an external interface get one that connects via FireWire or Thunderbolt depending on what connections your MacBook has.

So really you either looking at a better cable (stereo mini-jack to twin jacks or twin phonos) or a proper audio interface rather than a mere cable.

For a cable then you are stuck with the mini-jack and if as you say it has come out then there are no locking versions so you could jury-rig something up with gaffer tape or position the MacBook and cable in better position - i.e. with more support underneath the mini-jack plug as it connects into the MacBook - like a small shelf. You might fashion something using Sugru around the mini-jack plug that helps fit around the connection to the MacBook body.

If you are looking at just running out a stereo signal a small, lower-cost interface then there are lots but you may find that the USB, Firewire, Thunderbolt connection is just a prone to the same issues.

IME a good stereo mini jack is a far more reliable connector for staying put in a live situation that either USB or FireWire.

When I used to use a MacBook pro in a live situation I had it in a fitted case so it couldn't move which made a massive difference to the reliability.

Out of interest what sort of problems have been having. A friend who also uses one live discovered that his suffered from problems with excessive bass frequencies causing the hard drive to go into anti-drop protection and shut down. The fix was to sit the MacBook on its own isolated stand.

thanks everybody - all new territory for me - i can only just manage to hook my bass rig up let alone all this PA malarkey and busses and auxes and stuff

im just the dumb bass player stood at the back playing root notes because after all it is the easiest instrument despite is this bickering on the other thread because they're all in denial :ph34r: :D