Why become a member? ×

EBS UniChorus going bad

shemeckfrac

I didn't want to believe it when I got (and payed lots of money for) EBS UniChorus and MultiComp, but now I agree with Cyrus Heiduska and his review in [url="http://www.ovnilab.com/reviews/multicomp.shtml"]http://www.ovnilab.com/reviews/multicomp.shtml[/url]

[color=#000000][font=verdana, sans-serif][size=4]"I have been avoiding saying this for some time, but it needs to be said. EBS pedals seem to "go bad" over time, more noticeably than other pedal brands. They are [/size][/font][/color][u]great[/u][color=#000000][font=verdana, sans-serif][size=4] when new, and the positive comments in my review apply in that case. But over just a few years they can develop issues such as distortion, switches failing, increased noise, or erratic behavior."[/size][/font][/color]

I have started experiencing this with my fairly new UniChorus, namely with the increased noise. It worked fine at first and nothing has changed on my pedalboard to influence this so I attribute this to failure or deterioration of the circuit components. In contrast my cheap DigiTech Multi-Chorus, which I initially considered inferior to UniChorus (probably mainly due to price), works consistently great. Fingers crossed the MultiComp is more robust but I won't bet my head on it.

Has anyone else experienced the increased 'vibrating' noise issue with this pedal and any idea how to fix it?

No. I had a MultiComp and Unichorus on my board for 3 years and it's as good as new. In fact, the Unichorus remains one of my favourite chorus effects for bass there is.

Switches fail on all brands. Dry solder joints happen on all brands. I've never actually heard of such issues with EBS pedals, so just because 2 or 3 people had an issue, doesn't really mean there's a problem.

If it's fairly new, take it back, get it swapped under warranty!

• 3 years later...

Not an EBS but I had an issue on an EhX pedal I bought, it was fine for a couple of weeks and then went 'noisy'. My local friendly repair guy sorted it for me - it was a dry joint that he assumed had been there since new, certainly no way the previous owner would have known about it. £30 later and it's perfect again. A quick search suggested it's not that uncommon with them, perhaps something similar with EBS?

No experience with this. I had three Unichorus pedals, all 2nd (3rd,4th,5th +?) hand ones and the noise was never an issue. One pedal, which I still have, has a particularly worbly pitch shift phase and the depth and rate knob controls give different results on the same settings, no major problem but not sure why it works.