Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Preamp recommendations for a Jazz bass

I'm considering fitting a preamp to my Jazz bass to add a bit more variation in sound.

I've tried the J Retro in the past and as good as it was, I found it a bit too much with the tone options available (basically I kept tinkering!)

I'm also really keen on a preamp that's a retro fit (no need for battery compartments etc) and has a proper passive option with a tone pot that works in passive too.

Any ideas?

Edited by Old Horse Murphy

Can't help with suggestions I'm afraid, but I totally agree with you on the J Retro! Lots of incredible sounds available, but just too difficult to find mid-gig or mid-rehearsal...

I await the proper answers with some anticipation, as this is an option that I may well be exploring myself. I like the sound I can get from my Behringer BDI21, but I don't like the way it sucks the mids out. Is there a simple pedal that gives a mid-boost?

I really like the 3-band EQ on the EBMM Sterling that I recently traded - very musical and simple. But it wasn't attached to a J bass! :rolleyes:

If you found one pre-amp led to too much fiddling, what has changed?

Maybe it is worth considering using an outboard solution instead - EQ is EQ whether you mount it in the bass, a pedal or a rack unit.

And re:behringer BDI, have you seen this vid conan?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8MbcoSsc14

Edited by SubsonicSimpleton

[quote name='SubsonicSimpleton' timestamp='1398668009' post='2436239']
And re:behringer BDI, have you seen this vid conan?
[/quote]

I have now! :D

Very interesting - but way beyond my skills.... :blush: Makes you wonder why Behringer don't offer a modded version themselves as it is a well-known problem.

Edited by Conan