Why become a member? ×

Classic series Stingrays, comparison to originals

Foxx

I have an original '77 Stingray , and a '93 Ernie Ball version, I don't like the neck shape of the 93,it's not comfortable to me, nor am I particularly keen on the contour body, it just doesn't sit as well as the slab body does with my strap position/playing style etc, in short the '77 fits like a glove.

How do the classic series compare to the originals in terms of neck shape, etc, has anyone owned or played both to compare?
From what I've read on them the fingerboard radius is the same as the originals, but I don't know about the back profile,

I'm not sure on the shape of the neck....I have a Classic and all I can say is it sounds and plays better than many truly expensive high end gear (e.g. the £2500+ basses).

Exceptional build quality, lovely birdseye maple neck and board, and the mutes...woah....I didn't expect them to sound so good!

I don't think the neck profile on the Classics is quite as slim from front to back as the original pre-EB Stingrays were. All the original Stingrays I have ever played, including my own '82 one, have had [i]very[/i] pronounced shallow "D" shaped neck profiles whereas on EBMM basses the necks have a bit more meat to them, by comparison.

Edited by Dingus

The Classic Stingray has a 7 in radius neck, the standard Stingray an 11 in radius neck.

The Classic is noticeably shallower if played back to back with a standard one - however I have no problem changing from one to the other within the same set - and to be honest have noticed no significant difference from my old pre EB. I played a pre EB recently and they all feel similar to me - they are generally great necks - as good as I've played on any bass and better than most basses at that price.