Why become a member? ×

What's the deal with epiphone EB0

Vladimir

I'm bidding on one on eBay at the moment and I'm wondering if it's even worth it.

The description on the epiphone website says that it's a short scale. I'm wondering if I will notice the difference, I have only played full scale necks so far.

Also, the more I think about it, the more I wonder where the hell am I going to put my thumb?

The main thing that attracts me is that cool looking body. The site says it's lightweight which to me reads more like "we used as little mahogany as possible to save money"

I'm winning it at the moment with a 50 quid bid. Is it worth a punt for 50 quid for a bit of fun or just keep my money in the bank?

I took one in part exchange for a bass a few years back, with the intention of selling it straight on. I was really surprised at how nice it was. Great fun to play. The tone is pretty old school, unsurprisingly, but certainly usable.

Certainly worth a punt at £50

Edited by simon1964

Worth it for sure - surprisingly good even as stock. I had one, did the mods Fozza did and suddenly had a grown up giggable instrument. Lightweight, think neck, great tone from the DiMarzio, if a little one-dimensional. But if that is the tone you want you are laughing. Neck dive is an issue but a wide grippy strap helps. And you might find you like shortscale - my EB0 was the first shortscale I had and I love them!

Edit - I believe my old one is for sale on here, a couple of owners further on. A black one already with a DiMarzio for £90. The Hipshot bridge has gone, though.

Edited by Paul S

As the owner of the long-scale version (Epi EB3) I will warn you...they're an acquired taste. If I surmise correctly from your pic that you normally play a Jazz, you'll find the tone [i]very[/i] different! But if you're after that Jack Bruce / Andy Fraser type tone, you could do a lot worse for £50-odd. As someone who acquired the taste, I think they're great basses. I was after a Quadrophenia-era John Entwistle tone, couldn't afford a Gibson, and found the EB3 got it closer than the Epi T-bird. Give it a shot, you may surprise yourself!