Why become a member? ×

Tri sound/Thor sound

norrin

Hi all, hope someone can shed some light for me.
I've just seen an Aria Proll TSB 650 on ebay - sold for £160, a bargain in my opinion. The headstock reads 'TRI SOUND BASS', - seems IDENTICAL to the 'THOR SOUND BASS' in every detail, even the period made ie 1979-83. Anyone know the difference?
Thanks in advance for any replies,
Chris.

I used to have a TSB550 (single pickup only, the 650 has two i think) and it said Tri-sound on the headstock and Thor-sound on the case - or maybe the other way around. I don't think there is any difference.

It was a fabulous bass. Matsumoku built, mine was a 1980. 32" scale, light, fast, and very nice sound. Narrow string spacing at the bridge though.

I foolishly sold it for £150 although it had been completely stripped of lacquer and was bare wood - which i think made it sound even better.

At less than £200 these are good value - the only thing that would worry me is the narrow string spacing.

I think it's just Japlish! All of those little Aria Pro abbreviations are like that - I have an RSB Deluxe, which apparently is a "Rev-Sound Bass". Wha? :)

I doubt if there's any difference between Tri-Sound & Thor Sound beyond the sticker - but you could ask on the [url="http://www.matsumoku.org"]http://www.matsumoku.org[/url] forum - someone there will probably know.

Jon.

cheers chaps!
wouldn't seem so odd if they were made during different time periods, but maybe it's more common than I think - from what you've said I have a feeling they ARE the same but might ask on the matsumoku forum cos I REALLY wanna know now!
ta.

• 5 years later...

[quote name='norrin' timestamp='1216036122' post='239091']
Hi all, hope someone can shed some light for me.
I've just seen an Aria Proll TSB 650 on ebay - sold for £160, a bargain in my opinion. The headstock reads 'TRI SOUND BASS', - seems IDENTICAL to the 'THOR SOUND BASS' in every detail, even the period made ie 1979-83. Anyone know the difference?
Thanks in advance for any replies,
Chris.
[/quote]

I owned one in the 80's and the Tri-Sound and Thor Sound are one and the same. It has both names. The case that came with it had Tri-Sound Bass, and the bass itself had Thor-Sound Bass. They are the same instrument.

and it may have had tri-sound on the headstock in smaller print> But yes it is the same bass.

There is one small difference. They look exactly the same with pickups and toggle switches, But the Thor Sound Volume knobs are single solid knobs, and the TRI-sound Thor has a two piece Knob for both front and rear. ex. the volume sits on top, and there is a second piece of the knob which is bigger in circumference for the treble. The volume knob sits atop an indented Treble adjustment knob, from low to high. That is the difference.

Edited by kreigh