Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Festival gig "expenses". What to ask for?

solo4652

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1397034843' post='2419865']
Folks,

I've managed to secure some slots for my new band at the July Foodie festival at Tatton Park. Large, managed stage, thousands of people in the audience, press coverage etc. Big opportunity for us. No gig fee, but we have been offered "expenses". I've no idea what to ask for. Some more info;

We're a 5-piece covers band
We all live within 30 mins drive of the venue
We'll be doing 2 X 40 minutes slots on the Saturday and 2 X 40 mins slots on the Sunday
No need to take any backline with us, but drummer has to take his kit

What would you regard as reasonable expenses to ask for, please?
[/quote]

My brother in law played the Edinburgh version of this festival, in 2013, and got paid. His usual fee is about £150 for a solo spot. It's not a particularly large festival (a cordoned off area about 100 metres by 100 metres) and it was a pretty small stage as well. At least make sure you get some free food out of it, if nothing else.

Edited by gjones

[quote name='jakenewmanbass' timestamp='1397046566' post='2420049']
Don't do it for no fee, you are setting the bar very low for a very hard pressed industry if you do.
I have worked at Tatton hundreds of times over the years, at the RHS flower show, wedding fayres, and private functions, never for less that £150 per person. (and sometimes for much more)
The 'exposure' argument is complete rubbish. The organisation you're working for will make bucketloads of money from it.... Don't do it!
[/quote]

Plus one!