Why become a member? ×

Aguilar Sl Cabs

ML94

Hi guys,

Has anyone tried these SL cabs (I think that's what they're called). There the new range of light weight cabs by Aguilar. I've played through a GS cab with the same head (Tonehammer 500) and love the sound and was thinking if the newer cabs produced the same type of sound being quite small as they are.

I've played them and thought they were good... but they sound 'NEO' to me...in that they have that same sort of
'harsh' mid prominece which I don't really favour..not that kind a sound to my ear.
You can get round that easily enough but I would say they are ball-park Berg AE cab like, which many rave over.

I far prefer the DB cab bias...but they are heavier. I also prefer the Berg CN112 as I feel they are just a bit more subtle
sounding.
But the SL and the GS are about as far apart in sound as you could get...IMV
The GS is mid scooped...big and fat and the only top you'll get is thru the horn, and the SL
has the mid bias ... It can do full, but has no where near the girth of the GS, IME.
Some would say that is a good thing as the GS is BIG down low... as you'll know.

Chalk and cheese, IMO

The SL's have been around for quite a while now and there's a lot of them out there on the gig circuit.

I've seen quite a few serious pro players using them as 'everyday' cabs for smaller club gigs where hey don't need their really large rigs. I certainly know people who use them as an alternative to both GS and DB setups and there's definitely an Aguilar 'signature' tone across the range.

I've spent a lot of time with these and they are my favourite of the lightweight 12" cabs. The Bergantinos are good but, to my ears, the SL's are less 'neo' sounding and have a deeper, rounder, low end whilst the Bergs are more articulate and clean.

Like most Aguilar kit the really come alive in a live gigging situation :)

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1396892865' post='2418486']
I've played them and thought they were good... but they sound 'NEO' to me...in that they have that same sort of
'harsh' mid prominece which I don't really favour..not that kind a sound to my ear. [/quote]
I agree.
I think it helps if you are careful with the positioning (due to back reflex) of the cab to the back wall.

To be honest, I am much happier with the cheaper (albeit heavier), much more balanced (though modern sounding) and European, Vanderkley 112EXT