Why become a member? ×

G&L SB-2

dub_junkie

finally some decent pics of my SB-2. this bass has the factory birdseye neck and ebony fingerboard options(no longer available I believe) and also a added 3 way pickup selector and tone control instead of the usual vol/vol and no tone

For a passive bass its got a fairly hot ouput,with huge amounts of thump from the MFD split P and the big bridge single coil has possibly the most honkin mids of any bass I've yet owned.I've messed about with p/up heights quite a bit and I've got the bridge p/up set quite close to the strings.I much prefer the distinct tone this gives. most SB-2 users seem to use the bridge single coil more as a tone shaper for the P on their basses without a tone control.

I seriously love this bass so much its not funny. if you see one come up for sale buy it... you will adore yours too!

[quote name='El_JimBob' post='238973' date='Jul 14 2008, 10:25 AM']What a beauty!
Just noticed tho - no headstock string guide/clamp - does that not cause any problems, even with the tapered tuning posts?[/quote]

you noticed this sooner than I did. the bass was out the case and being played when I first got it before I realised there was no string tree.

I havent experienced any problems, there is sufficient break angle behind the nut but Its definetely something on my "to do" list

It was factory specified not to have a string tree, and there doesn't seem to be any dead spots due to the lack of one, so I wouldn't bother. Are you leaving the V/T setup as it is? I wondered about a dual V/T stack for more control but never got round to it.

I also have an SB-2, but in black and vol/vol pots only. (& no string Tree!)
But I'm not over over impressed with the output from the Precision pickup. Not the 'huge amounts of thump from the MFD split P' that you get so I'm wondering if I could have a duff pickup? I do change strings regularly so any ideas? I have also tried a diffferent bass through my amp (fender P Special) which gives a lot more 'thump' and tonal range.

Cheers,
Tim

[quote name='BB2000' post='239964' date='Jul 15 2008, 12:47 PM']It was factory specified not to have a string tree, and there doesn't seem to be any dead spots due to the lack of one, so I wouldn't bother. Are you leaving the V/T setup as it is? I wondered about a dual V/T stack for more control but never got round to it.[/quote]

Hi BB,maybe in time I'll have the stacked controls but I'm happy enough with it as it is. I guess I've only the 3 tones with no mixes inbetween but each setting is really great sounding so I dont mind.

[quote name='Wooks' post='240025' date='Jul 15 2008, 01:56 PM']Preeeeettttttyyyyy 'n' spaaaarrrkkkkllllllyyyy.....oooooooooh me likes it. I too love the neck any chance of a close up pic?? :)[/quote]

I still have one of BB2000s pics from when it was his

[quote name='TimHo' post='240119' date='Jul 15 2008, 03:20 PM']I also have an SB-2, but in black and vol/vol pots only. (& no string Tree!)
But I'm not over over impressed with the output from the Precision pickup. Not the 'huge amounts of thump from the MFD split P' that you get so I'm wondering if I could have a duff pickup? I do change strings regularly so any ideas? I have also tried a diffferent bass through my amp (fender P Special) which gives a lot more 'thump' and tonal range.

Cheers,
Tim[/quote]

have you tried raising the pickups and/or polepieces? I found the bridge pickup was swamped by the P when i first got it. With both p/ups on the P overpowered the SC. I had to hike the bridge one a fair bit till I got what i thought the right balance. Tonight I played my SB-2 and Asat one after another,both on the neck pickups and the Asat in passive/series. the SB2 wasnt any quieter or lacking in body

hope this helps

cheers

Edited by dub_junkie

[quote name='dub_junkie' post='240545' date='Jul 16 2008, 01:21 AM']Tonight I played my SB-2 and Asat one after another,both on the neck pickups and the Asat in passive/series. the SB2 wasnt any quieter or lacking in body[/quote]

any pics of the ASAT?