Why become a member? ×

Jazz / Precision volume differences

geoham

Hi,

I have a Jazz with Custom 60s pickups, and a Precision with the stock pickups (mex). Only recently, I've started using both basses with the band, and there is a significant difference in volume between the two. I realise the Precision will naturally be a bit louder due to series wiring, but on the other hand, the CS 60's are supposed to be higher output.

I fitted the Jazz pickups myself, so some shady wiring is most definitely not out of the question! Are there any quick checks I can do to verify the integrity of my work?

I've attached a short recording - appreciate it if someone could have a listen and let me know what they think. No effects or processing at all - first is the Jazz neck pickup on full, second is the Precision on full. (excuse the tuning & playing!)

Thanks,

George

[attachment=159586:Comparison.mp3]

Edited by geoham

I'm not sure what's going on with that attachment - it's supposed to be an MP3 - try this if it doesn't work.
[url="https://www.dropbox.com/s/hd61mmlupph3n35/Comparison.mp3"]https://www.dropbox.com/s/hd61mmlupph3n35/Comparison.mp3[/url]

Edited by geoham

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1396814178' post='2417658']
What are the distances between the pickups and strings like? Some of the volume difference may be due to pickups being at different heights (maybe lower the P bass pickup?).
[/quote]
I can't remember exactly, however, I followed Fender's online guide when setting it up. Both are reasonably close.

I had some of this and I posted up a thread in the bass guitars section. I improved the situation by lowering the action on the J, and you can wind the pups up a bit too. My p and j are within a few % of each other now according to the amp input LED's.

Cheers,
Rich

Thanks for the advice to all.

I think that all is fine, just that my P is naturally hotter than my J. I done a few basic diagnostics just to satisfy myself.

I've tested my pots (0 ohm fully open, 250k ohm fully closed) and measured the DC resistance of the pickups (which I realise doesn't equal output, but at least gives me some comfort...) - all within spec.I also took the control plate out plugged in to make sure I didn't have any wires or components touching against the cavity shielding.

My 'solution' is to create duplicate patches on my Zoom B3 with adjusted gain settings. Little bit of work, but not too bad using the computer.

Edited by geoham