Why become a member? ×

What really pi***s me off

alembic1989

I can't play a 35 inch scale bass . Even on well made basses that play relatively effortlessly I always wonder how much easier they would be to play if they were 34 inch scale, or shorter. In fact, I really like the Rickenbacker scale lenghth of 33 1/4 inches.

The thing about 35 inch scale for a five string is that, yes, it tightens up the B string, but at the same time it tightens up the other strings , changing both the sound , feel and overall tension quite significantly. Going to 35 inch scale gives the basic sound of the bass a different complexion to all the strings, not just the low B, usually with a greater emphasis on the higher harmonic overtones of the notes. You may like that or you may not.

Also, it's very noticeable to me that some bass makers manage to avoid the inconveniences that 35 inch scale can cause by designing basses where the low B on a 34 inch scale instrument sounds just as clear and feels just as taught. Sadowsky, EBMM and Fodera all spring to mind as offering excellent sounding five string basses with 34 inch scale. Indeed, Fodera will do you a 33 inch scale bass with a superb low B, albeit at a cost. :ph34r:

The bass guitar is hard enough to play as it is. To me the imperative is to go shorter and make it easier, rather than to go the other way .

Edited by Dingus