Why become a member? ×

Gretsch Pickup question Problem Solved. With pics! NBD all over again

basshead56

UPDATE:

So I found a set of Gretsch Blacktops on the bay awhile back. They are the ones in the current Electromatic basses. Got the bass back yesterday from my mate who installed them. He said a tiny amount of routing was required but they were an easy fit.
I sounds HUGE!!! Massive thick boom from the neck and plenty of twang from the bridge! Tone to spare! and not a hint of feedback when driven through my Mesa 8x10!
Equally cool is the sound when played unplugged - it feels and sounds like a totally different instrument to before. I think this may be down to the metal pickups but don't really care why.

All I know is I'm chuffed! I was incredibly happy getting one to begin with but much happier now - it's NBD all over again!

Just need to decide on the colour of the dice knobs I NEED to add...

Edited by basshead56

• 2 months later...

I've ended up getting a set of Gretsch Blacktop pickups (the same ones that come in the Electromatic basses out at the moment).
The rings are wider than the current stock pickups but approx the same length.
The pickups themselves are smaller than the stock ones.
I don't have time to fiddle with the soldering iron or any potential routing that may be required as I'm flat out with work and home renovations so have turned it over to a tech mate of mine. He reckons it should be a fairly easy replacement job so should have it tomorrow (all going well)
Will post pics/results ASAP

:)