Why become a member? ×

Jackson shaped Columbus...

OutToPlayJazz

I mentioned this in the "first bass" thread over on the general bass discussion, but I thought it'd get lost over there in such a big thread, so here goes...

Back in the dark ages (mid 80's) I bought my first bass, a Columbus that looked rather like the Jackson CMG concert bass pictured below. Does anyone have any pics of Columbus basses of this era, or any info on what happened to Columbus guitars?

Thanks in advance,

Rich.

It's funny - Columbus is a bit of a mystery, despite the fact they were so ubiquitous in the 70s & 80s. I have no idea who owned or distributed the brand, or what happened to them. They were featured in the old "Bell" musical instrument catalogues from the 70s, but so were many other brands.

I've had 4 over the years - my first guitar was a Columbus SG, bought very secondhand in 1981, and I subsequently had an LP copy too. I had a Jazz copy & currently have an LP, just like my old one, which I'm renovating.

Mine were all Japanese copies, but it seems by the mid-80s the brand had gone down the pointyhead/Superstrat route, and was being made in Korea, like most budget instruments were back then. Not sure when Columbus disappeared, I think they were gone by 1990.

Sorry I can't be of more help - but it's surprising how little info there is about them.

Jon.

My second bass (circa 1979) was a Columbus Jazz copy – OK in its way, but not a patch on some of the better far eastern copies of the time (Maya, Kimbara, Antoria etc) – body made of plywood, neck some sort of cheapo mahogany, and near zero-output pick-ups.
Wonder where it is now?