Why become a member? ×

ashdown head no output

tom_683

i have an ashdown mag 300 head and it has recently broken. it turns on and you can see from the vu meter that there is an input, but no sound comes out of the outputs when connected to a cab. the di still works, its just the speaker outputs that dont. i have tried different leads and everything, i dont think its me being stupid. does anyone know what might be wrong? is it gona be an expensive repair?
cheers
tom

[quote name='tom_683' post='237582' date='Jul 11 2008, 08:27 PM']i have an ashdown mag 300 head and it has recently broken. it turns on and you can see from the vu meter that there is an input, but no sound comes out of the outputs when connected to a cab. the di still works, its just the speaker outputs that dont. i have tried different leads and everything, i dont think its me being stupid. does anyone know what might be wrong? is it gona be an expensive repair?
cheers
tom[/quote]

MB1. :)
Mute Switch?.....Sorry i'll get me Coat! :huh:

Hmm. They are rather prone to blowing their mains transformers. Mine did but the whole thing didn't function.

It could have just blown the secondary for the power stage such that it's open circuit and won't blow the main fuse.

There's a pair of internal fuses on the main board for the power amp rails. If you're willing to take the lid off have a look to see if they're still intact but beware if the amp has been on recently as the smoothing caps can still store a fair bit of charge.

Do you use the effects loop? The jacks that break the "through" signal when something's plugged in may have got dirty.

[quote name='tom_683' post='237635' date='Jul 11 2008, 09:37 PM']theres no mute switch on mine. and i dont use the effects loop. i will have a look inside over the wknd, is it obvious just by looking if those fuses are blown? cheers[/quote]
It's usually fairly evident that a fuse has gone - the inside can be blackened. Normally they have a conical spring shape in them.

[quote name='thinman' post='237633' date='Jul 11 2008, 09:29 PM']Do you use the effects loop? The jacks that break the "through" signal when something's plugged in may have got dirty.[/quote]

Good point.

If you don't use the effects loop or headphone socket very often all the more reason to give the jack sockets a good clean and repeatedly insert a jack in and out of each. If it starts working that isn't the permanent fix, you need to get the top off and give them a proper clean.

there is a large glass fuse that goes right in front of the speaker outputs on the back of the amp, you will have to open the amp up to get at it.

i recently spoke with martin burrows at ashdown about the internal fuses and heres his reply so you know what are the right ones to get if you need to.

"The fuses in the MAG, mains fuse is T3.15 amp ( anti surge ) the internal power board fuses are T6.3 amp ( anti surge ) if you have alter model, you will have a speaker fuse fitted just inside on the rear ( near the speaker socket ) this is an F10 amp ( fast blow )"

so you may need the F10 amp (fast blow) which seems feasable as the DI works so the amp is working.