Why become a member? ×

I thought I'd lost it

JapanAxe

I was playing fretless along to a few tracks and it just wasn't sounding right. Tuner showed bass and in tune and correctly adjusted for intonation - is [i]my[/i] intonation that bad? Checked and re-checked.

Then I thought 'hang on a mo' - at some point I'd accidentally pressed the CALIB button on my Pitchblack, so I was tuned to A=441Hz. I reset it, and sure enough all 4 strings now showed sharp/ Re-tuned and all is well. I was even thinking about jacking in my risible attempts on fretless!

Also it was worse when I was trying to play on the lines - I seem to be far better off following my ears now.

I did that before on my Korg pedal tuner, unfortunately for me I did it on a recording my old band did about 10 years ago for quite a few songs which we were only allowed one take.........I listened back to that recording the other day, we were pretty poor but it doesn't help I'm out of tune for the whole thing......

Oh I was on a fretted as well...

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1395698085' post='2405330']
I was playing fretless along to a few tracks and it just wasn't sounding right. Tuner showed bass and in tune and correctly adjusted for intonation - is [i]my[/i] intonation that bad? Checked and re-checked.

Then I thought 'hang on a mo' - at some point I'd accidentally pressed the CALIB button on my Pitchblack, so I was tuned to A=441Hz. I reset it, and sure enough all 4 strings now showed sharp/ Re-tuned and all is well. I was even thinking about jacking in my risible attempts on fretless!

Also it was worse when I was trying to play on the lines - I seem to be far better off following my ears now.
[/quote]

Ha ha! I've been a victim too.
Worst was when the THREE guitarists in my band shared a tuner that was calibrated to either 439 or 441.
I could not believe all three of them were wrong, I mean, they sounded ok together... but... I was supposed to be in tune... was my bass' intonation so far out suddenly? :lol:

And another +1 from me, playing DB with a singer-songwriter.

He sent me demo tracks to learn where I really struggled with the intonation.

At rehearsal I really struggled with the intonation, and checked the tuning on my bass every 10 minutes.

We gigged his set twice at different venues and I really struggled with the intonation.

Started to rehearse some new stuff and I lost my rag, stopped playing and shouted that we had to do something about it.

After 10 minutes of discussion it emerged that he'd bought a new clip-on tuner the week before he met me, accidentally set it to 435, and literally every f***ing note he'd played or recorded in the previous month had been out of tune.